Prolawctor Daily News Update
The Delhi Government has moved before the Delhi HC Division Bench against the stay order imposed by the Court on reserving 80% beds in ICU for COVID patients
Delhi Government has moved a Letters Patent Appeal before the Delhi HC Division Bench challenging the stay order passed by the Single Judge on the order directing the hospitals to reserve 80% beds in ICU for COVID patients.
The appeal has been filed against the order passed by the Single Bench of Justice Navin Chawla and the Division Bench of Chief Justice DN Patel and Justice Prateek Jalan has further decided to take up the hearing for the appeal on September 28.
The Bombay HC sets 3 sex workers free observing that willful prostitution is not an offence
The Bombay HC held that prostitution does not come under offence made punishable in the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956.
It further held that an adult woman has the right to choose her vocation and therefore cannot be detained without her consent. The Court therefore ordered the release of 3 sex workers from the Corrective Institution.
Delhi HC reserves order in plea moved by Ashok Arora against the decision of his suspension by the SCBA
On May 8, the Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) ordered the suspension of Ashok Arora from his post of Secretary after the particular decision was taken by the Executive Committee (EC).
The Delhi HC has reserved its order in a plea moved by Ashok Arora challenging his suspension. The order has been reserved by the Single Bench of Justice Mukta Gupta.
The Vodafone Group won an international arbitration case against the Indian Government
The Permanent Court of Arbitration at Hague has observed that the tax demand of the Indian Government on Vodafone is in breach of the investment treaty agreement between India and the Netherlands. The tax dispute between the two accounts for around Rs. 20,000 crores.
The Karnataka HC directs the State Government to adopt “better scheme” for rehabilitation for illegally evicted migrants
The Karnataka HC has given certain directions to the State Government in order to come up with better rehabilitation schemes for illegally evicted persons on the ground that they were illegal Bangladeshi immigrants.
The places from where illegal eviction has taken place are Kariyammana Agrahara, Devarabeesanahalli, Kundalahalli and Bellandur areas in Bengaluru.
The Karnataka HC has stayed the execution of the order of VDA as deferred
The Karnataka HC through interim relief has stayed the execution and operation of the State Government order dated 20th July, 2020 which directed the payment of Variable Dearness Allowance (VDA) will stand deferred from 1st April, 2020 till 31st March, 2020.
The Madras HC held that “there should not be any Executive Officer/Fit Person-raj” in Palani Temple
The Madras HC has observed that a “duly constituted board of Trustees” can only make policy decisions or decisions relating serious financial implications on a Temple.
The Court further held that an Executive Officer/a Fit Person can only be a medium of a “stopgap arrangement” to attend to the “day to day necessities” for a temporary period of time in certain special circumstances or difficult situations.
The J&K HC granted bail to an elected Councilor of LAHDC accused of making derogatory remarks during India-China Border Scuffle
The J&K HC has granted bail to Zakir Hussain (a democratically elected Councilor of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh) who was accused of making disrespectful remarks against the leadership of the Country and against the Armed Forces of the Country.
The Court further observed by following the SC Judgment in Balwant Singh and Anr. V. State of Punjab; that mere derogatory remarks may not attract the provisions of Section 124A or 153A of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. These provisions would only apply when such remarks tend to disturb public peace and order and hence creates violence in the society.
Thomas Maher avow drug trafficking
- Firm boss of A HAULAGE arrested after 39 corpses were discovered in a lorry.
- Thomas Maher admits drug trafficking offences
- He was held on suspicion of man slaughtering and conspiring to traffic.
- Last year young of 15 Vietnamese nationals were found dead in Essex.
A Retired colonel sworn in as interim president
- Bah N’Daw, sworn in as Mali’s interim head of the state.
- New elections to be held in 18 months.
- The coup was ousted.
US economy suffered $16 trillion haul
Racial discrimination cost the economy of US $16 trillion in wealth over last 2 decades, says reports. The sizeable wage gap for black and Hispanic workers has been noted.
Kim Jong Un Apologized
- North Korean leader apologized over killing of a South Korean official
- According to presidential office of South Korea Kim Jong Un sent an apology message to South Korea
- He said the incident was unexpected and unfortunate
- North Korea allegedly has killed a South Korean public servant and burnt his body
Two Journalists Stabbed in France
- Two journalists were stabbed near the former offices of Charlie Hebdo
- After the incident France government has started anti-terror investigation
- Prime Minister Jean Castex said that the main attacker is under arrest and the second person is in custody
Harley Davidson to Stop Manufacturing in India
- Harley Davidson is pulling it out its business from the world’s largest bike market
- Harley Davidson took this decision after a week of Toyota’s decision of not expanding business in India due to the country’s high tax regime
Rio Carnival 2021 Postponed
- Rio de Janerio’s carnival which was scheduled in February 2021 now has been postponed indefinitely
- Millions of visitors visit this carnival every year so it will be difficult to organize it without vaccine
PM Modi pays tribute on death of SP Balasubrahmanyam by saying that with his demise our cultural world is a lot poorer
PM Narendra Modi extended his condolences on the death of SP Balasubrahmanyam who is a singer-actor by saying that our cultural world is a lot poorer with his unfortunate demise. PM also said that his melodious voice & music enthralled audiences for decades.
The veteran singer who was of 74-year-old tested positive for COVID-19 in the first week of August. Then, he was shifted when his condition was deteriorated of MGM Healthcare to ICU. Till his last breath, he was kept on ventilator & ECMO support.
Activities for promoting ‘Yoga Break’ protocol of Ministry of AYUSH resumed
Five-minute protocol is intended to introduce people to yoga at workplace & it will also help them to take a break from work schedule & to refresh & re-focus. Yoga is an Indian discipline intended to bring balance & well-being of individuals to physical, mental, emotional & spiritual dimensions.
Protocol which is developed by a group of eminent experts contains stretching exercises. This protocol was launched on a trial basis in January & was found to be effective which is based on analysis of feedback of participants.
AYUSH Ministry to extend facility of free of cost to staff & officers of various offices which are situated in GPO Complex, INA, New Delhi, in the coming weeks.
China has aimed to top 1 billion coronavirus does a year
Country’s annual production capacity for COVID-19 vaccines to top 1 billion doses next year which followed truculent govt. support programed for construction of new factories. It was said by Zheng that distribution of vaccines will prioritize groups such as medical workers, border personnel & elderly before they are made available to general public.
Construction of vaccine testing facilities was promoted by China & manufacturing of plants & assigned independent monitors for assembly. 11 vaccine candidates in human trials were in China with four of them in third & final trials.
Amid the nationwide protests by farmers, PM Modi accused the Congress of giving hollow slogans in favor of farmers
Between nationwide protests by farmers which are against three contentious farm Bills which are passed by Parliament, PM Modi reiterated BJP-led NDA govt. created history for farmers by increasing MSP & accused Congress of giving hollow slogans in favor of farmers.
Efforts were made by NDA to connect farmers with banks & over Rs1 lakh crores were transferred under PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana to approx 10 crore farmers. PM also said that effort was made to provide KISAN credit cards to farmers so they can avail loans easily.
The Earthquake Knocks Ladakh
- The National Centre of Seismology addressed the earthquake which knocked Ladakh on Friday.
- The earthquake held in the epicenter with 5.4 magnitude and the in the 10 km depth around 4.27 pm.
- As per the report, no damages recorded.
India conducted 7 crore test – Ministry of Health | COVID – 19
- The ministry of health reported that more than 7 crore COVID –19 tests has been conducted in India
- In a day over 86,000 cases were reported in India. Over 92,290 people died.
- The active cases started declining; the vaccines were being developed by many private institutions.
By 2023,100% electrification of broad gauge routes is planned by Indian Railways
- Piyush Goyal, Railway Minister Today states that, Railways are planning 100 % electrification of broad gauge routes by the Year 2023.
- On 1.04.2020. 63% out of total 63,631 kilometer routes broad gauge lines are already electrified
- A total of 23,765 route km lines are yet to be electrified.
Economy to contract by 5.9% in India by 2020
The UN Report 2020 in regard to the UN conference on trade and development (UNCTAD) forecasts India GDP to contract by 5.9% in 2020 while giving a warning that growth will rebound next year, but the contraction is likely to cause a paramount income loss.
First-ever annual India Happiness report
- The 1st ever annual India Happiness report is released in India and shows studies of happiness in the 36 states and UTs of India
- Mizoram, Punjab, A&N Islands are top 3 in the happiness ranking of the states and union territories.
- Whereas state wise Punjab, Gujarat & Telangana have acquired top 3 position.
‘U-Rise’ a unified portal launched by UP Govt.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath has launched a unified portal U- rise in order to guide students in learning, career counselling and getting employment in the state. Benefit from the portal will be available for almost 20 lakh students appearing for vocational and technical education along with technical expertise.
Rana Kapoor alleged in money laundering case
- Kapoor’s apartment in UK which is worth 13.5 million pound was taken for attachment by Enforcement Directorate (ED).
- It was said that the banker for giving adjustment took bribes from the company.
- The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has booked Rs 127-crore flat of Yes Bank co-promoter Rana Kapoor.
- ED has attached in London in connection with money laundering investigation against him and his family.
- The agency issued a provisional order for attaching the property — Apartment 1, 77 South Audley Street, London — under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The animal spirits of the Indian economy are stabilizing in August but strong rebound still far away
In August, India’s economy showed signs of stabilizing manufacturing and service, leading to an increase in coronavirus cases nationwide. Five of 8 high-frequency economic indicators gained but a robust rebound remains a far way off as a surge in virus cases continues to disrupt activity.
Dean Jones passed away
The former Australian batsmen Dean Jones has passed away at the age of 59. He was in Mumbai as part of the IPL commentary panel. He suffered a massive heart attack. He was part of the star sports Select Dugout. He was part of Australia’s resurgence under Alan Border and also the part of the world winning squad of 1987. He was known for his unorthodox batting.
Nadal will open against Egor
- Rafael Nadal will take on Belarus’ Egor Gerasimov in the French Open’s opening round.
- Gerasimov was a finalist at the Tata open in Maharashtra.
Suarez moved to Atletico
The Barcelona forward signed for Atletico Madrid late on Wednesday. Atletico Madrid will pay €6 million to Barcelona for the transfer.