Prolawctor Daily News Update| 25 September 2020
Prolawctor Daily News Update
The SC lawyers expressed the need to replace the Vidyo App
Pertaining to a survey conducted on the virtual court hearings, a majority of the participating SC lawyers expressed the need to replace the Vidyo App with a more effective one, such as Cisco Webex.
The reason mentioned by the lawyers for the above contention was the connectivity problems during the Court proceedings. Furthermore, the advocates mentioned that the Vidyo App did not provide an effective screen sharing feature which again created lot of problems.
Rajasthan HC allowed student to take JEE (Advance) Examination after her Mains result was allegedly fiddled
The Engineering aspirant claimed that she scored 99.4 % percentile in JEE (Mains) Examination which was conducted in January, 2020. She further alleged that her score had been “erroneously and maliciously changed” to 59.4 % percentile which made her ineligible to appear for the Advance.
The Rajasthan HC directed the National Testing Agency to allow her to take the examination which is scheduled to be held this Sunday, i.e., 27th September, 2020.
Delhi Court remands Umar Khalid to judicial custody for instigating the Delhi Riots
The Additional Sessions Judge Amitabh Rawat has remanded Umar Khalid to judicial custody till October 22. The action comes as a result of allegations against Khalid of instigating the riots that took place in the northeast districts of Delhi during February 23-25 when the US President Donald Trump visited Delhi.
The SC has quashed a Kerala HC judgment which directed conducting of a load test before demolishing the Palarivattom Flyover
The Supreme Court has set aside a Kerala High Court judgment which directed the Government to conduct a load test before demolishing the Palarivattom Flyover on the National Highway in Ernakulam through an approved qualified agency capable of conducting such a test, with notice to all the stakeholders.
The Madras HC has released a notice expanding the scope of physical court hearings in Tamil Nadu
The Madras HC Administrative Committee has decided to increase the number of cases being heard physically in Subordinate Courts.
The decision has been taken in consultation with Principal District Judges; City Civil Court, Chennai; Chief Judge, Court of Small Causes, Chennai; Chief Judge, Puducherry; and respective Bar Associations of the Districts.
The Delhi HC Registry has issued an order stating that industrial disputes petition shall not be listed if exceptional circumstances are not disclosed
The Registry of the Delhi HC in furtherance of an issuance of an office order observed that the petitions related to the industrial disputes will not be listed if exceptional circumstances under which relief is sought are not disclosed in the petitions.
The order comes in furtherance of the September 20 judgment wherein it was declared that the exceptional circumstances should be disclosed in the synopsis and the opening paras of the writ petition.
The notification was published in official Gazette of India extending the suspension of initiation of corporate insolvency resolution process by 3 months
Recently, the Parliament had passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2020 where the Section 10A provides for the extension of the time period for suspension of initiation of corporate insolvency resolution process by 3 months.
The Amendment further clarified that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any default committed under the said sections before 25th March, 2020.
The Delhi HC has directed the Central Government to consider the complaint filed against Republic TV for communal reporting
The Delhi HC has directed the Central Government to consider the complaint issuing allegations against the Republic TV for communal reporting of the “Palghar mob lynching” incident.
It has further directed the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to decide the particular case within 4 weeks.
Britain to prepare sanctions on individuals violating Human Rights
- UK to prepare sanctions on people involved in Human Rights violation in Belarus.
- The sanctions will be prepared on individuals.
- UK joins other allies i.e. US and Canada to hold Alexander Lukashenko and his government liable.
South Korean government official shot by North Korean
- South Korea throws allegations over North Korea troops for killing a South Korean government official.
- The body was set on fire by the North Koreans.
- The body was found on a floating object in waters near the disputed sea boundary.
380 detention centers running by China in Xinjiang
- China is holding more than one million Uighurs and Muslim Turkic- speaking residents, many others under detention.
- 380 detention centers found.
- China claims that many Uighurs have been released.
Sri Lanka Attorney General claimed $1.8 million for the fire
The Greek owned oil tanker owners agreed to pay for the fire caught off at Sri Lankan’s eastern coast. The amount to be paid is $1.8 million.
Prize cash for Nobel Awards rose
- The Nobel Prize to be announced on October 05, 2020.
- The cash prize increased from nine to ten million kronor by the foundation.
Woman in France Harassed for Wearing Skirt
- Strasbourg women identified as Elisabeth was punched oh face by three individuals for wearing skirt in public
- Government has said that this is a very serious and unacceptable incident
- 1800 fines have been imposed since the law against street harassment in 2019
Two Officers Shot During Protest in USA
- The protest was done against the government’s decision not to charge any officer in Breonna Taylor case
- Breonna Taylor was shot six times by three police officers during raid at her home
- The jury has charged only one officer for shots which hit the neighbouring apartment
- The actions of other two officers were justified said the Attorney
- Breona Taylor was a black lady
Niger and Nigeria to be Connected via Railway Line
- Nigerian government will build a rail line that will join the country with its neighbouring country Nigeria
- The length of the project is about 400 km
- It will boost the economic activities between both the countries
Joshua Wong Arrested in Hongkong
- Famous Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong arrested for allegedly violating an anti-mask law
- He one of the most high-profile people connected with pro-democracy movement
- He released on bail after a few hours
Second wave of coronavirus pandemic hits peak in the national capital with experts hinting that cases will decline in coming days : Arvind Kejriwal
It has been said by CM Arvind Kejriwal that the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic hits its peak in Delhi with experts who hints that such cases of infection will reduce in the upcoming days.
Govt. kept its fingers crossed & they hoped that cases will moderately come down as some steps were taken by AAP dispensation. Delhi witnessed a surge in no. of COVID cases in the last few days.
There was a rise in the cases from around 1,100 to 1,500 from 17th August & being a responsible govt. they didn’t wanted to take any risk & immediately scaled up the testing from 20,000 to 60,000 tests per day. It was said by CM that the best way to defeat this virus is to conduct aggressive testing to identify & isolate cases which are positive.
Google Maps to bring an all-new update of the Covid-19 filter which will protect you
Due to the worsen condition of pandemic increasing day by day, it is crucial to live & work in this virus-driven world with all protective norms. This is the reason why Google Maps is bringing us a new update of the Covid-19 filter for both Android & iOS users which could be applied while travelling outside to check which locality or area is safer in the city.
This feature to show seven-day average of recent Covid-19 cases per 1, 00,000 people in a particular region. The increase or decrease in the number of cases through an arrow mark will also be portrayed on the screen. This new feature can be enabled by opening maps & by tapping on ‘Layers’ button which is at the top-right corner. This new update will be rolled out in all 220 countries having Google Maps support & will be available by this week.
Google has partnered with Apple to develop the tracing technology to help health officials to monitor no. of people who came in contact with infected person.
Five new faces inducted in the council of ministers after removing six cabinet ministers : Manipur
Chief Minister N Biren Singh inducted five new faces in the council of ministers after removing six cabinet ministers which includes nephew of ex-CM among five new faces. 5 new Cabinet ministers were inducted in a swearing-in ceremony which includes 2 MLAs who left Congress to join BJP. One cabinet berth was left open. One of the MLA of congress is Okram Henry Singh who is the nephew of former CM Okram Ibobi Singh.
The main and only objective of reshuffle is the progress of Manipur while expressing his confidence that govt. would be able to perform better with rejig.
The percentage of satisfactorily functioning CCTV cameras installed in national capital by Delhi Police is abysmally low : CAG
It was said by the CAG that the percentage of satisfactorily functioning CCTV cameras which are installed in the national capital by the Delhi Police is abysmally low. The report flagged the rise of 275% in crimes which are registered in Delhi under IPC in 2019 as compared to 2013.
It was also said that percentage of cameras functioning is abysmally low which ranges from entirely defunct camera to 31% to 44% defunct cameras in various other phases. The functioning of Delhi police who were being affected by shortages in manpower was pointed out by CAG.
Freedom of speech benefit should not be given in Sudarshan TV case
- The late Rajiv Tyagi’s wife and wife of the Pawan Khera, party speaker filed a case on Supreme Court
- They said that advantage of freedom of speech shall not be given to the people who spread hate speech in the Sudarshan TV case.
- Rajiv died because of the heart attack after participating in the debate.
- It was said that the loud aggressive behaviour was the cause. The case was adjourned till 5th October.
COVID – 19 rules relaxed for Tourists in Uttarakhand
- The Uttarakhand states lift the restrictions for Tourists if they tested negative for the COVID – 19 tests.
- It is not compulsory for them to carry a report and stay for two days in hotels
- But, it is necessary for them to register at smart city portal before arrival.
- In case they tested positive and it shall be informed to the district authority and follow the guidelines of the union ministry.
Fire in ONGC plant – Result of huge explosion at Surat
- The continuous three blasts resulted in the huge explosion at Surat and caused a fire at Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
- Several companies and many fire department authorities visited the Hazira plant at the fire place.
- The accident happened at the visual of hydro carbon vapour cloud in Hazira plant at the beginning, said the district collect Surat.
GAIL wins leader award at Frost & Sullivan,TERI’s award sustainability award
GAIL has won the leader award in mega large business process sector category in 11th edition of Frost & Sullivan and the energy and resources institute sustainability 4.0 awards 2020. The award recognises corporates in sustainable development practices.
ITBP ties up with Uttarakhand govt. To promote adventure tourism
Uttarakhand tourism dev. Board & info- Tibetan Border Police signed a MOU to promote adventure sports activities at Tehri Lake. ITBP will provide training in adventure sports & various courses related to it at the Rajiv Gandhi Adventure Sports Academy.
Indian Navy, Royal Australian Navy Passage Exercise underway in Indian Ocean
PASSEX underway between Royal Australian Navy and Indian Navy in Eastern India Ocean Region. Air Warfare Destroyer HMAS Hobart, Stealth Frigate INS Karmuk are engaged in complex Maritime Exercises.
NITI Aayog & IEA released special report on sustainable recovery
IEA in alliance with NITI Aayog released special report on sustainable recovery. Part of IEA’s flagship world energy Outlook series, the report proposes a number of actions that could be taken over the next 3 years to revitalize economies & boost employment.
20% Jump in Export of Vegetables
- India exporters had ensured to supply even freight rates are high.
- There is increase in consumption of vegetables as compared in the non- vegetarian market.
- The Vegetables demand is 20% higher than the pre-Covid-19 levels.
The centre allows the states for additional borrowing
- The finance ministry has permitted five states to borrow an additional Rs. 9,913 crore through open market borrowings.
- The five states were Andhra Pradesh (Rs. 2,525 crore), Telangana (Rs. 2,508 crore), Karnataka (Rs. 4,509 crore), Goa (Rs. 223 crore) and Tripura (Rs. 148 crore).
- This is for implementation of reforms related to ‘One Nation One Ration Card’ system.
Government notifies standards for safety assessment of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has notified the standards.
- The standard sets for safety evaluation of vehicles operated by hydrogen fuel cells.
- Hydrogen fuel cell-based vehicles are environmentally friendly.
Mumbai Indians topples Kolkata Knight Riders
In a huge run chase thriller, Mumbai Indians defeated Kolkata Knight Riders. Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma played a responsible knock and provided stability to the team he scored 80 runs of 54 balls which consisted 6 sixes. Surya Kumar Yadav also contributed a crucial inning of 47 runs. The Mumbai Indians made 195 runs in 20 overs for five wickets.
Kolkata Knight Riders suffered early blows in the power play. Captain Dinesh Karthik was looking good but R. Chahar stopped his reign. After that they continued to lose wickets. Andre Russell also bowled by Bumrah before making any impact. Pat Cummins showed some fireworks hitting four sixes but to no avail.
Mitchell Marsh out of IPL
Australian all-rounder who is a part of Rajasthan Royals camp has been ruled out of IPL because of an ankle injury in the first match. He also pulled out of IPL in 2017 because of injury.
Jason Holder has been called out for replacement. He will join the squad soon.
Players nominated for UEFA player awards
Bayern Munich players Robert Lewandowski and Manuel Neuer have been nominated alongside Manchester city’s De Bruyne for the last season UEFA player award for the men’s category.
The winner of the awards will be announced on October 1 along with the women’s player of the year award.
Donovan appointed Chicago Bulls head
Billy Donovan has been named team’s new head coach. Donovan, 55 joined the Bulls after Oklahoma City Thunder by mutual by mutual agreement earlier this month.