Prolawctor Daily News Update
Contents of Article
Delhi HC allows applications moved by ED and CBI which seeks early hearing in 2G spectrum
The Court has decided to provide an early hearing in leave to appeal filed by Enforcement Directorate and Central Bureau of Investigation against the acquittals of A Raja and others in the 2G Spectrum case.
The Court has further decided to undertake the hearing matter of the case on a day-to-day basis, and the first hearing is scheduled on October 5, 2020 respectively.
The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020 has been notified
Passed by the Parliament in November last year, the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Rules, 2020 have come into force.
It aims to protect the rights of transgender persons by granting them recognition and making welfare provisions for them.
The Rules impose an obligation and a duty on the Government to take proper measures directing prohibition of discrimination of transgender persons in any Government or private organization or establishment including in the areas of education, employment, health care, public transportation, participation in public life, sports, leisure and recreation and opportunity to hold public or private office.
Guwahati HC admits the plea filed by Akhil Gogoi against NIA’s rejection of his bail in a case related to protests against the CAA
The Court granted two weeks’ time to respond as the matter necessarily involves the bail and the personal liberty of the appellant.
The appeal is filed under Section 21(4) of the NIA Act, 2008 against the order dated 13.07.2020 passed by the learned Special Judge, NIA, in Misc. Case (NIA) which rejected the appellant’s bail plea.
Bombay HC observed that it will have to come up with a formula to benefit the public as well while hearing pleas to allow travel in local trains
The Bombay HC observed that at a time when people are starving, losing their jobs, the Courts cannot keep the direction of allowance to travel in local trains limited to lawyers only or allow the physical Court hearings for the benefit of the lawyers only.
The Court decided that in this tough time of the pandemic when people are starving and losing their jobs, the Court will have to come up with better ideas to benefit the public as a whole.
Delhi HC directs DU to set timelines to provide paper-based degree certificates and mark sheets
The Court has directed the Delhi University to issue paper-based degree certificates and mark sheets to both the students who will be graduating this year and those who have already graduated in previous years.
The Court has further directed the University to formulate an appropriate mechanism to issue online transcripts to those students who urgently need them as they are facing problems to apply for postgraduate programmes in foreign universities due to non-availability of degree certificates.
The Punjab & Haryana HC has barred the schools within its jurisdiction from charging transport fees from students :
The Court observed that;
“In view of the fact that the students are not going to school, the transport fee may not be charged.”
The Court has further permitted the schools to charge the tuition fee and capped the building maintenance to 50%.
Central Government notifies the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Amendment Act, 2020
The Act was cleared by the Parliament on September 22, 2020.
It aims at reducing the cap for utilization of funds for administrative expenses from 50% to 20%. It amends the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010 and it comes to regulate the acceptance and utilization of foreign contributions by individuals, associations and companies.
The Delhi HC imposes heavy costs of Rs. 50,000 on the petitioner for seeking financial aid of Rs. 70,000 from Central Government to implement his clean environment project
The Court dismissed the PIL filed by the petitioner on the ground that it was full of absurdities and that the petition lacked the presence of sufficient ground to claim relief.
Therefore, the Court ordered the petitioner to pay Rs. 50,000 to DSLSA within the stipulated time period of 4 weeks.
Minimum five Iraqi civilians killed in a rocket attack
- A rocket targeting airport of Baghdad killed 3 Iraqi children and 2 women.
- US troops were stationed there.
- Its aim was to threaten the Americans to close its embassy and withdraw its three thousand troops from the country.
Shahbaz Sharif arrested in money laundering case
- The opposition leader of Pakistan, Shabaz Sharif was arrested.
- The Lahore high court rejected his plea for bail.
- He is charged for $41.9 million money laundering case.
UAE plans to launch Lunar rover to the moon
- Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s country plans to launch an unmanned Emirati made Lunar rover to the moon.
- The plan is to send the spacecraft in 2024 to the moon.
Japanese airline to use gender neutral passenger regards
- From October 01, the Japan Airlines will be using gender neutral passenger greetings.
- Plans to address the passengers by “attention all passengers” and “welcome everyone” rather than “ladies and gentlemen”.
- Aim to promote diversity in the community and treating everyone the same.
Teacher sentenced to death for poisoning
- The court of China has sentenced a Chinese teacher, Wang Yun to death for poisoning.
- She poisoned 25 children.
- One of the children died after eating the morning porridge which was poisoned.
- She put sodium nitrite in the breakfast for revenge after fallout.
Conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan
- The conflict is over disputed region Nagorno-Karabakh
- Around 100 people including civilians have died in the battle
- The battle has started 3 days ago
- Turkey has openly supported Azerbaijan while Russia has its base in Armenia
- Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognised as a part of Azerbaijan but the majority of population is ethnic Armenian
Grand Jury’s Tapes of Breonna Taylor’s Case to be Made Public
- She was when the officers invaded her Louisville home. They had a search warrant and were executing it as a part of drug investigation
- No officer was charged over Ms Taylor’s death and jury has decided to keep the tapes of the decision confidential but one juror sued for released
- Ms Taylor’s death has outraged people and protests demanding justice for her were held
Mangrove Protection Regulations Revoked by Brazil Government
- Removal of regulations will allow the property developers to clear off the areas of natural habitat for tourism and other works
- This decision has removed the permanent protection zones created in 2002
Sex workers to be given dry rations | SC orders State
- Due to the pandemic, the sex workers have to be given dry rations without asking for any identity proofs like ration cards.
- The Supreme Court implements Union Territories and States and directs centres to comply with order.
- The government has to help the transgender committee and benefit them says Supreme Court.
Quadrilateral coalition meeting to be attended by External Affairs Minister
- The meeting of quadrilateral coalition will be attended by the Ministry of External Affairs in Tokyo, Japan on October 6 -7.
- The minister S. Jaishankar will hold the talks in the counterpart of Japan.
- The issues relating to bilateral and region will be discussed mutually.
Loss of Rs. 960 crores and 27 military employees because of poor missiles
- The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) produces low quality which resulted in the injuries of 147 soldiers and 27 personnel.
- The poor quality of the missiles resulted in the frequent accidents over the years.
- Nearly 403 incidents and loss of ₹658.58 crore cartridges occurred between 2014 and 2019.
- The official said, “₹960 crore loss roughly means 100-155 mm medium artillery guns could have been bought for this amount”
Ganga Avalokan will be inaugurated by PM
- Ganga Avalokan is the first museum dedicated to Ganga.
- It will showcase the culture, biodiversity and rejuvenation activities done in Ganga River.
- The location of museum is at Chandi Ghat, Haridwar.
Portal launched by government for updates on Covid-19 vaccine development
- A web portal is launched by Union health ministry that will help in providing all vital information on Covid-19 vaccine development and ongoing clinical trials..
- National clinical registry for Covid-19 and vaccine web portal has been developed by ICMR.
2 New species discovered in Western Ghats
- 2 New species of pipewort a type of wetlands plant have been discovered by scientists in the areas of Western Ghats
- Maharashtra and Karnataka species have been named as Eriocaulon Parvicephalum and Eriocaulam Karaavalense respectively.
PM launches startup challenges:
Defence Minister launched a start-up challenge 4 (DISC4).
The start-up challenges are autonomous underwater swarm drones, foliage penetration radar, production of radar cross-section of naval warships and artificial intelligence based satellite image analysis and reduction.
Ann idea of an innovator or MSME is accepted by the ministry in DISC4.
Six sewage treatment plants inaugurated in Uttarakhand
- PM of India inaugurated six sewage treatment plants in Uttarakhand under the Namami Gang Mission.
- Completion of the sewage treatment plants worth over Rs 500 crore.
- The six projects are a big step towards ensuring the cleanliness of the river.
GATI Founder resigned
Mahendra Agrawal, founder and managing director of Hyderabad-based Gati ltd. resigned from the board of Gati, Gati-KWE, and Gati-kausar.
RCB won in a super over decider
High run chase match between royal challengers Bangalore and Mumbai Indians ended in a super over. Which RCB won apparently? From RCB both the openers scored fifty and de Villiers at the end hit a blistering fifty taking the score to 201.
Dube also played an important cameo hitting 3 sixes in the last over. From Mumbai Indians side Ishan Kishan was a standout. Just missing 1 run from his maiden IPL century. Pollard’s innings at the death overs proved to be crucial in tying the match for Mumbai Indians.
Mirabai chanu granted 40 lakh for training
Sports authority of India has approved the grant of 40 lakh rupees for Mirabai Chanu for the training in Kansas. It is under the TOPS scheme.
French open updates
Nadal and Serena Williams both have entered in the round 2 of the Roland Garros tournament. Nadal has won the Rolland Garros tournament for a record 12 times.
Dinda would play for Goa
Indian pacer Ashok Dinda will play for Goa next domestic season. He was side-lined by the Bengal in the previous season.