Prolawctor Daily News Update
Contents of Article
The Parliament passed the J&K Official Languages Bill, 2020
The Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on 22nd September, 2020 and was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 23rd September, 2020.
The Bill declares certain languages as official languages of the UT. The languages include;
The SC issued a notice directing the MP Government and MP High Court for increasing the superannuation age of Subordinate Judiciary to 62 years
The action comes in furtherance of a plea seeking the increase of age of superannuation of the Subordinate Judiciary and therefore stated that the failure of the MP State Government to implement the said action resulted in “hostile discrimination vis-a-vi State Government employees who are governed by the same service rules”.
The SC held the issuance of a notice directing the MP State Government and the MP High Court to increase the superannuation age from 60 to 62.
The SC has observed that for enforcing a notification, the exact time of the publication of the e-gazette is sufficient
Replying to a writ petition involving the question that whether the notification published by the Government of India on 16.02.2019 in exercise of powers under Section 8(1) of the Customs Tariff Act, 1975 in relation to the terror attack at Pulwama on 14th February, 2019; was enforceable from 0000 hours on that day; the SC observed that for the determination of the enforceability of the notifications, the precise time of publication of the gazette in the electronic mode is significant.
The SC Collegium has proposed the names of 10 Judicial Officers as Judges of the Madras HC
The 10 Judicial Officers whose names have been recommended by the SC Collegium for the Judges of the Madras HC are;
- G. Chandrasekharan
- AA Nakkiran
- Sivagnanam Veerasamy
- Ilangovan Ganesan
- Ananthi Subramanian
- Kannammal Shanmuga Sundaram
- Sathikumar Sukumara Kurup
- Murali Shankar Kuppuraju
- Manjula Ramaraju Nalliah
- Thamilselvi T. Valayapalayam
The Rajasthan HC granted interim protection to Former Union Minister from arrest in the Laxmi Vilas Hotel, Udaipur case
The Rajasthan HC granted interim order/protection to Former Union Minister Arun Shourie, who was the Minister for Disinvestment in the year 2001 when disinvestment of Laxmi Vilas Hotel, Udaipur took place; from arrest in the particular case of Laxmi Vilas Hotel.
A PIL filed in MP HC seeks the deletion of ineligible voters’ names from the Electoral Roll of Sanwer Constituency
A PIL was moved in the Madhya Pradesh HC (Indore Bench) seeking directions for the Election Commission of India to delete the names of the ineligible voters from the Electoral Roll of Sanwer Constituency and thereafter publish the Draft Electoral Roll of Sanwer Constituency alleging that the election process in Sanwer was not in accordance with the statutory provisions.
The Kerala HC granted anticipatory bail to Christian preacher accused of encouraging religious enmity
The Kerala HC granted anticipatory bail to Christian preacher who has been alleged to spread disharmony, enmity and ill-will between persons belonging to Islam and Christianity and thus accused of committing an offence punishable under Section 153A of the Indian Penal Code, 1860. The Single Bench of Justice Ashok Menon was hearing the pre-arrest bail plea of the accuse applicant.
The Madras HC issued guidelines for settlement of just compensation under Motor Vehicles Act to minimize false claims
In order to prevent false claims and illegal practices in accident claims settlement matters, the Madras HC has issued detailed guidelines for settlement of just compensation in these matters under the Motor Vehicles Act.
NASA predicted Asteroid of a bus-size is set to bump-past the Earth tomorrow
It has been predicted by NASA that asteroid which is of the size of a bus is all set to hurtle past the Earth tomorrow i.e. 24th September. This asteroid will hurtle past the Earth’s surface from a distance of 22,000 km.
It has been estimated that this heavenly body will come in closeness to the Earth’s geostationary satellites orbit at a distance of 36,000 km. US-based space agency named this all-new asteroid as ‘SW 2020’ which is discovered by the scientists on 18th September in Arizona through NASA funded Catalina sky survey.
It must be taken into reference that just after 10 days- a potentially perilous asteroid named-‘QL 2020’ rushed past the Earth on 14th September & this asteroid is second such space object that will woo the astronomy enthusiasts .
Eiffel Tower evicted
- The Paris police received an incognito phone call indicating bomb at the monument.
- The officers evacuated the monument immediately.
- The officials inspected the wonder and found nothing wary.
- The site reopened in less than three hours.
Saudi Arabia to permit Umrah Pilgrimage
- The Islamic pilgrimage to mecca and medina to go about on October 4.
- The country announced a hold on Umrah due to pandemic.
- 19 million people captivated last year.
- The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah is developing an application a week prior to umrah, which could be installed in phones.
Anwar Ibrahim aims new government
Anwar Ibrahim, the opposition leader of Malaysia has secured a majority in parliament to form a new strong, stable and formidable government. The government calls it a cheap publicity trick or act.
Pakistan to hold elections in part of Jammu and Kashmir
- Pakistan to hold general poll elections in Gilgit Baltistan.
- The date finalized for the election is November 15.
- Indian’s protest strongly conveying Gilgit Baltistan to be part of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Pakistan President approves a synopsis regarding the general elections
Eleven structures built by China in Humla
- Humla comes under Nepal territory, says Nepal.
- China and Nepal are entangled in border row owing.
- Humla is a remote border district of China.
Mask Rules Eased in New Zealand
- After drop in COVID-19 cases New Zealand eased mask rules
- New Zealand has lifted the pandemic restriction but there is some restriction in Auckland
- New Zealand has not reported any case from last one week
- The country was praised worldwide for its response towards the virus
Commonwealth Summit Postponed
The summit was scheduled to be held in April 2020 now will held in June 2021 in Rwanda. The meeting will held on 21 June 2021
Parliament passed the essential commodities (amendment)bill,2020
Parliament passed seven key bills including the crucial essential commodities (amendment) bill.
The bill amends the essential commodities act, 1955.
The bill removes cereals, pulses, oilseeds, edible oils, onion and potatoes from the lists of essential commodities and removes stockholding limits on them.
Union commerce and industry & railways ministry participates in the G-20 meeting of the Trade and investment ministers.
Piyush Goyal took part in the virtual meeting of the G-20 trade and investment minister. He said that India is not in a position to accept the concept to DFFT and stresses on the importance of small retailers in sustaining food chains and essential supplies.
PM launched project to connect all villages in Bihar with OFC internet.
- OFC project has been launched by Dept. Of telecommunications ,GOI
- Bihar will be the 1St Indian state to connect all villages by OFC internet.
- The project will cost approx. Rs. 1000 crores.
- This will enable the digital revolution to reach the farthest corner of the country.
DRDO conducts successful flight test of ABHYAS
The successful flight test of ABHYAS high speed expandable aerial target conducted by DRDO from the interim test range, Balasore in Odisha. ABHYAS is designed & developed by the aeronautical development establishment of DRDO.
Major landslide triggered by heavy rain on National Highway 10 cut off Sikkim
A major landslide hits National Highway 10 due to the heavy rain which cuts off Sikkim from the rest of the country; this landslide happened at 29 mile area in West Bengal.
NH-10 highway which is considered to be the lifeline for people of Sikkim is maintained by General Reserve Engineer Force & PWD of West Bengal. At least one or two days will be taken to clear the debris completely ; If the rain subsides then the roads for one way traffic can be cleared by the evening .
‘Decisive push’ was called for long-delayed UNSC by G-4 nations
- For the long delayed reforms of UN Security Council , decisive push was called by G-4 nations of India, Germany, Brazil and Japan
- All meetings of G4 foreign ministers are held on the side-lines of general assembly for the annual UN on a virtual platform due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- India to begin its two year term from 1st January in the next year as elected non-permanent member of the powerful Security Council.
- It was said by PM Modi that the world body faces a crisis of confidence without the comprehensive reforms.
FCRA Amendment Bill being passed by Rajya Sabha
Parliament passed an Amendment Bill- Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act to make furnishing of Aadhar numbers compulsory by office-bearers for registration with govt. which asserted that proposed legislation is aimed at transparency & not against any NGO; The Bill was passed by the upper house among the opposition who were boycotting proceedings over adjournment of 8 MPs.
The Bill was passed in Lok Sabha & then it will be sent to President for his assent. It was said that this bill is mandatory for the internal security as there are some cases where NGOs didn’t disclose their foreign funding & also they didn’t furnish proper audit of expenditure.
S R Balasubramoniyan said that it is no wrong in seeking Aadhaar of members of NGO as provided in the Bill as these NGOs had provided jobs & done social service in the pandemic and all the people who are doing good work should not be bulldozed.
The Anti –Armour guided missile tested by DRDO
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has tested the first evolved laser protected Anti-tank guided missile successfully.
- The firing range which is up to 4 Kms was proved by the test held in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra.
- The Indian Army’s fire power capacity will be increased by this missile.
Two bills returned by Rajya Sabha
- The Appropriation bills 3&4 have been returned for consideration by Rajya Sabha.
- These bills are money bills which approve the consolidated funds payment in India.
- These were introduced on the budget proposal in the lower house.
COVID – 19 circumstances examined in 7 states
- The chief ministers and the health ministers attended the meeting through internet broadcasting held by the PM Modi.
- The 77% of deaths and 65.5% of positive cases were reported.
- Except for UP and Punjab the positivity rate was noted more the 8.52% which the National Average.
SC asked clarification of the refund of the Air tickets
On Wednesday, the Supreme Court to the Centre asked the clarification on the sense of refund for the tickets in the Airlines booked and cancelled on the lockdown period.
NRL is being set up terminal for import of crude oil
Crude Oil Import facility of Assam based Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) have started in Paradip Port, Odisha.
Land filling activity will soon be started by the Dredging Corporation of India (DCI)
Land filling activity will be done by way of dredging and reclaim.
A tripartite MOU was signed by NRL with Paradip Port Trust (PPT) and Dredging Corporation of India (DCI) for reclamation of 200 acres of land allotted by NRL to set up its crude oil import terminal.
Rajya Sabha passed three bills:
The Rajya Sabha passed the, Industrial Relations Code Bill, 2020, Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code Bill, 2020 and The Code of Social Security, 2020. This happens for first time after independence that Bill will provide social security to 50 crore workers.
The bill has provisions for migrant workers to get a yearly travel allowance to go back to their home states as well as free health check-up.
Airtel have lost 25% value from its peak:
- Airtel, India’s second largest telecom service providers have lost 25% of their value since the peak the stock hit in May 2020.
- Its market capitalisation is down to Rs2.4 lakh crore.
- Reliance Jio, at Rs. 4.9 lakh crore, nearly twice than the size of Airtel market capitalisation.
Tennis hall of fame nominates ‘original 9’ this year
The group who led to the creation of WTA gets nominated for the international tennis hall of fame. The group took a stand on disparity in prize money and playing opportunities for women in professional tennis.
Manchester City kicks off with win
Manchester City opened the season with a win. City defeated Wolverhampton Wanderers by 3-1. De Bruyne PFA Player of the year put City in front with the 20th minute penalty.
Samson showed class in Rajasthan Royals win
Sanju Samson stars in Rajasthan Royals win over Chennai super kings. Samson hit nine sixes and scored 74 off 32 balls. Jofra Archer last over fireworks helped putting 217 runs target for Chennai super kings.
Du Plessis impressive performance did not provide what was needed; even though Dhoni hit hat trick of sixes in last over.
24th September – World Maritime Day
World Maritime Day focuses on the importance of shipping safety, maritime security and the marine environment and to emphasize a particular aspect of IMO’s work. World Maritime Day is celebrated in many countries worldwide, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.