Prolawctor Daily News Update| 3 October 2020
Prolawctor Daily News Update
The Epidemic Diseases (Amendment) Act, 2020 comes into force after receiving the presidential assent
The Act prohibits commission/abetment of an act of violence against a healthcare service personnel or any damage/loss caused to any property during an epidemic.
Breach of the provisions of the Act will constitute a cognizable and non-bailable offence, punishable with imprisonment between three months and five years, and a fine between Rs. 50,000 and two lakh rupees. It also expands the powers of the Central Government in relation to the prevention of the spread of such diseases.
Delhi HC directs the UPSC to immediately communicate with the Chief Secretary, GNCTD in relation to the examinations on 4th October, 2020
The Court directed the UPSC to have an immediate communication with the Chief Secretary, GNCTD and the Commissioner of Police in relation of the issuance of proper directions to the concerned authorities which also includes the police officials.
The action comes as a result of ensuring that the candidates possessing admit cards for appearing in the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination which is to be scheduled on 4th October, 2020; are not stopped or obstructed in any manner from reaching their centres, even if the same are located in the containment zones.
Bar Council of P&H requests the CJ of the P&H HC to start physical hearing in 50% courts
The request was made by addressing a letter to the Chief Justice of Punjab & Haryana High Court which in addition with the starting of physical hearing in atleast 50% courts in a phased manner, also sought the simultaneous beginning of virtual hearing.
The action comes as a result of widespread feeling of frustration among the advocates of Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh.
Allahabad HC’s issuance of instructions sought to open and regulate the operation of hotels, restaurants and small eateries in the State amid the pandemic :
The Court in addition has issued certain instructions to be followed by all named above which includes the maintenance of proper social distancing inside the premises, non-allowance of customers to have food openly, the wearing of proper face masks by every individual customer, no throwing away of used plates or spoons or glass near the eatery, penalty and suitable action against those without masks, no selling of potable water by roadside eateries and open-air restaurants, eatery having turnover of more than Rs. 5,000/- per day should have CCTV cameras installed, for home-deliveries the eateries should ensure tightly packed or sealed boxes of food articles, misbehavior by customer may invoke action by the owner to report against that individual.
It was further clarified that the continuance of these instructions shall be till six weeks and violation of the same shall attract lawful action by police administration.
Delhi Court dismisses a criminal complaint against PM Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah
The criminal complaint alleged the duo of indulging into ‘Corrupt Practice’ during the 2014 General elections and also accusation of misappropriation of public property.
The Court of Special Judge Ajay Kumar Kuhar at Rouse Avenue District Court dismissed the complaint by stating that the allegations have the absence and lack of sufficient substance to invoke “criminal jurisdiction”.
Bombay HC seeks reply from the State of Maharashtra while hearing a PIL seeking effective participation of child victims in judicial process
The PIL was filed by a social worker who sought directions to all criminal courts to secure efficient and effective participation of child victims through their legal representatives at all stages of judicial process which as a result is creating non-implementation of certain provisions of POCSO Act.
The Court directed the State Government to file a reply in relation to the same till October 6.
Centre releases the notification regarding the appointment of 3 Judicial Officers as Judges of the Gujarat HC
The 3 Judicial Officers appointed as Judges of the Gujarat HC include;
- Vaibhavi Devang Nanavati
- Nirzarkumar Sushilkumar Desai
- Nikhil Shreedharan Kariel
Madras HC observed that an advocate who acted as per the instructions of his or her client cannot be held liable for defamation
The Court held that an advocate who acted professionally according to the directions of his/her client cannot be made criminally liable for the offence of defamation under Section 500 of the IPC unless contrary is alleged and established.
The Court therefore quashed the complaint.
Macron outlines fresh law to prevent Islamic separatism
- Emmanuel Macron, the French President has announced a law against religious separatism in France.
- It aims at freeing Islam in France from Foreign Nationals.
Lebanon seeks arrest of the ship owner and the captain
- Lebanon to arrest the foreign owner and captain of the ship which brought material.
- The material blew up at Beirut port and caused devastation.
- The international police organization Interpol has been ordered to detain the two men without publicly identifying them.
Assange to hear extradition verdict on January 04
- Julian Assange extradition trial for WikiLeaks founder verdict to be delivered on January 04.
- District judge Vanessa Baraitser announced the date of judgement to be pronounced on.
Saudi Arabia facing thousands of migrants from Ethiopia
- The Ethiopian migrant spoke on an illegal phone, scared to reveal his name.
- He mentioned some 300 countrymen are imprisoned with him.
- None of them has any idea, when the Ethiopia’s government might bring them back home.
Walmart to sell its British chain
- Retail giant, Walmart has agreed to sell its British chain of supermarkets, Asda, to the investors in $8.8 billion.
- Brothers Mohsin and Zuber Issa, along with investors TDR capital will acquire a majority of Asda.
US: First Couple Tested Positive for COVID-19
- Donald Trump and Melania Trump both tested positive for corona virus and are under self-isolation now
- After Hope Hinck one of Trump’s closest aid tested positive Trump and Melania tested positive for corona virus
- Trump is experiencing mild symptoms of COVID-19
EU Warns Turkey
- EU said that sanctions can be imposed on Turkey over provocation and pressure in a row with Greece over energy resources and maritime borders
- Turkey sent a research ship in Mediterranean Sea near Greek Islands after which the tension rose
- European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has instructed Turkey’s government to stop unilateral in eastern Mediterranean
- Turkey and Greek had set up a military hotline earlier to reduce the risk of clashes in the disputed region
Petra De Sutter: Europe’s Most Senior Politician
- De Sutter who is from Green Party, Groen is Belgium’s new Deputy Prime Minister
- De Sutter Took oath on 1 October in front of the Belgium King Phillipe
- De Sutter is a member of parliament since July 2019
To drive demand for small business Google India launched a campaign
To support small business & drive demand through customer support Google India launched its nationwide Make small strong campaign.
Sports and youth projects launched by Gujarat CM
Various projects of state sports, youth and cultural affairs department has been launched through a video conference from Gandhinagar by Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani. This work consists of mobile to sports initiatives, employment guidance centres and development of sports ground in 500 villages.
7% rise in crimes against women according to NCRB data.
According to the annual National Crime Record Bureau ‘ Crime in India’ 2019, crimes against women increased 7.3% from 2018 to 2019. Uttar Pradesh reported the highest number of cases.
Rise of economic crimes in Maharashtra
- Mumbai tops metropolitan cities in economic crimes.
- There is increase in economic Crime in Maharashtra, it was 13,941 in 2018 and it is 14,854 in 2019 as per NCRB reports.
- Rajasthan is at the top with 26,920 cases that were registered in 2019.
- There are 5556 cases in Mumbai and 4817 cases in Delhi.
Outsourced staffs will get paid by Railways
- Due to the COVID –19 lockdown, the services on railways has been kept suspend, during that period many contractual workers engaged in the many activities in railways.
- The Indian Railways said that those workers will get paid. This will benefit many people who were affected by lockdown.
- The passed order said that to avoid the hardships of the people who were affected and who were on duty during the lockdown the payment of wages is done.
Sonia Gandhi says people should choose wisely in the Bihar rally through video conferencing
- On Gandhi’s Champaran movement, Friday, the rally was held in Bihar. The Congress leader Sonia Gandhi addressed people via video conference.
- She said that the government is being run by the people through trading the confusions, fear and emotions.
- People have to be very clear and choose the right persons.
- She added that people have to fight against them by the Non-violence path following the path of Gandhiji.
SC – There has to be evidence to prove intention in suicide abetment
- The assumption cannot be made in the case of intention in abetment to suicide, the Supreme Court held on Friday
- No crime can be decided by the ‘intention’ as “state of mind” or ‘mens rea’ says the three bench judges.
- The justice Roy wrote the judgement, which held “In order to prove mens rea, there has to be something on record to establish or show that the appellant herein had a guilty mind and in furtherance of that state of mind, abetted the suicide of the deceased. The ingredient of mens rea cannot be assumed to be ostensibly present but has to be visible and conspicuous”
- The appeal was made by Gurcharan Singh; he was arrested 22 years ago for abetting his wife’s suicide.
Finance Minister has permitted additional borrowing by UP and AP
On Friday, Finance Minister has granted permission to UP and AP, to take additional borrowing of Rs 7,106 crore to meet their expenditure requirements.
On Friday, Tesla Inc. chief executive Elon Musk indicated that the US electric carmaker will make a foray into India in 2021. “Next year for sure,” Musk replied to a post with a photograph of a T-shirt with the message: “India wants Tesla” on Twitter
Mahindra & Mahindra launches two new models
Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has launched his two new models with all new versions, the model in two trims AX and LX with both petrol and diesel powertrain options. The price is between Rs 9.8 lakh and Rs 13.75 lakh.
Neymar, Gonzalez avoid sanction:
Paris Saint Germain’s striker Neymar and Marseille player have avoided sanction and punishment in a accusations of making racist and homophobic remarks in a match between the teams which was held earlier this month.
UEFA player of the year
Robert Lewandowski has been awarded the UEFA player of the year this year. He received the award at the UEFA headquarter. He scored 55 goals for Bayern Munich.
Mumbai Indians defeated kings XI Punjab
In a stellar performance by Rohit, Hardik and Pollard and by the bowlers Mumbai Indians scored 191 and beautifully defended it. Kings XI Punjab was dull in its performance. Mumbai Indians is now on top of the table.