Prolawctor Daily Current Affairs Insights
Contents of Article
‘Judicial Officers Not Having Experience At Bar Mostly Found To Be Incapable’ : BCI To Move SC For Mandatory Practical Experience For Judicial Service.
- The Bar Council of India has said that it will file an application in the Supreme Court seeking modification of the order which allowed fresh law graduates to become judicial officers.
- It said that the BCI and the State Bar Councils are “strongly in favour” of a 3 year minimum experience at the bar for being considered eligible to sit for judicial service exam.
SEBI Imposes Rs 40 Crore Fine On Reliance Industries, Mukesh Ambani For Manipulative Trades In RPL
- The Securities Exchange Board of India on Friday imposed a fine of Rs 25 crore on Reliance Industries and Rs 15 crore on its chairman, Mukesh Ambani,for manipulating shares of Reliance Petroleum Ltd (RPL) in November 2007.
- The issue relates to manipulation during the sale and purchase of Reliance Petroluem Limited shares in the cash and the futures segments in November 2007.
- This followed RIL’s decision in March 2007 to sell 4.1 per cent stake in RPL, a listed subsidiary that was later merged with RIL in 2009.
Plea In Supreme Court Seeks To Publish Draft Legislations Before Introducing In Legislature To Ensure Public Discussion, Feedback
- The Supreme Court has been moved in a PIL to direct the Centre and states to publish Draft Legislations prominently on government websites and in the Parliament and State Assemblies.
Complaint Under Section 498A Is Maintainable Even If Marriage Is Void: Jammu & Kashmir High Court
- The Jammu & Kashmir High Court has recently held that even if the complainant woman’s marriage with a man is void, still the man and his relatives could be prosecuted for offence under Section 498A of Ranbir Penal Code (RPC) [offence of cruelty].
- Relying on the rulings of the Apex Court, the bench of Justice Sanjay Dhar further held that when a person enters into a marital arrangement with a woman, he is covered by the definition of ‘husband’ as contained in Section 498-A RPC “irrespective of the legitimacy of the marriage”.
Legal notice to Kangana Ranaut for her tweet over farmers’ stir
- A member of Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee on Thursday sent a legal notice to Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut over her tweet allegedly targeting farmers protesting against the new farm laws.
- The notice was sent by advocate Harpreet Singh Hora on behalf of the committee member Jasmain Singh Noni.
India’s COVID-19 vaccine approval welcomed by WHO
- India’s approved Oxford COVID-19 vaccine Covishield, created by Serum Institute.
- Developed by Covaxin of Bharat Biotech for limited use in the country.
COVID-19: PM Modi congratulates India and its hard working staff
- PM Modi thanked medical staff, police personnel, doctors and sanitation workers.
- All corona warriors for their work during the pandemic.
15 dead in roof collapse at Ghaziabad cremation ground
- The roof of a shelter fell, killing around 23 people 15 injured.
- Roof collapsed when many people had taken shelter while it rained.
PM Narendra Modi to dedicate Kochi-Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline to nation on January 5
- PM will dedicate Gas Pipeline to the nation on January 5 at 11am in video conferencing.
- The Governors and Chief Ministers of Karnataka will be present on the occasion.
Goa Shipyard building 12 patrol boats: for Pangong deployment
- Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) catches the Rs 65-crore contract to build 12 anti-ramming patrol boats that would be deployed at Pangong Lake in Ladakh to the Chinese hostility.
- The PSU is expected to roll out the patrol boats by May 2021, by when snow would have unfreezed at the lake and a clash between India and China troops could resume.
- The Defence sector Public Sector Undertaking will also carry out maintenance of these boats for four years.
- Goa Shipyard Limited is guide by its Chairman, Commodore Bharat Bhushan Nagpal (retd), and has an worker strength of 1,472, including 240 officers, 177 supervisors, and 919 workers.
Comedian Munawar Faruqui, others sent to Judicial custody till Jan 13
- Arrested for allegedly insulting Hindu religious beliefs in a New Year show in Indore.
- They were assaulted when they were taken to jail after court proceedings.
US delisting may be faced by China oil majors after NYSE drops telcos
- After the New York Stock Exchange, it may be that Chinese oil majors are next in line for delisting in the US.
- It was stated that three biggest telecom companies of Asian nations would be removed.
People holidaying to flee lockdowns has been condemned by Pope
- People who had gone abroad on holiday to escape coronavirus lockdown were condemned by Pope Francis stating a necessity for greater awareness to shown regarding the suffering of others.
- As per the latest Reuters tally, more than 84 million people have been killed worldwide and as prevention strict restrictions have been imposed by many countries.
2 million AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses have been imported to Brazil, not yet approved for use
- It was stated by Anvisa, Brazil’s health regulator that it had approved the import of 2 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine that AstraZeneca developed along with University of Oxford however, Brazil is yet to approve the vaccine.
- Nísia Trindade stated that vaccine would be applied for emergency use by Fiocruz by Wednesday.
Yemen Airport, since deadly attack, received its first flight
- Yemen’s southern port city of Aden’s airport received its first commercial flight on Sunday since its deadly missile attack.
- The head of the U.N. mission to Hodeida, retired Gen. Abhijit Guha, condemned the shelling.
Anti-US slogans chanted by Iraqis since the Soleimani killing
- To mark the anniversary of the US killing of Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, tens of thousands of Iraqis chanted anti-American slogans streamed to Baghdad’s central square.
- The gathering demanded for revenge as it coincided with increasing tensions between Iran and US in the last days of President Donald Trump’s administration.
Bitcoin breaches the $34,000-mark as it gains 7.8%
- Bitcoin, the world’s biggest cryptocurrency, topped $34,000, only weeks after passing another significant achievement.
- The currency “will be headed straight toward $50,000 most likely in the first quarter of 2021,” said Antoni Trenchev.
A report said Macro data, vaccination news, quarterly earnings to drive markets this week
- Domestic values will primarily be driven by macro-economic data, vaccination news, and quarterly earnings this week, as per experts.
- The previous week saw the benchmark indices Sensex and Nifty hitting record levels consistently, floated by positive worldwide trends and news around the rollout of Covid-19 vaccination.
- Consistently, the Sensex progressed 895.44 points or 1.90 percent, while the Nifty climbed 269.25 points or 1.95 percent.
Discoms’ outstanding dues to power gencos rise 35% to Rs 1.41 lakh crore in Nov
- Power producers’ total dues owed by the circulation firms rose more than 35 percent to Rs 1,41,621 crore in November 2020, reflecting stress in the sector.
- The portal was launched in May 2018 to bring transparency in power to buy exchanges between the generators and discoms.
Reliance Industries, BP Plc commit to paying for any shortfall in KG-D6 production to buyers
- These industries have committed to pay in cash for any natural gas volumes they are unable to deliver to customers from the next wave of discoveries in the eastern offshore KG-D6 block.
- The purchaser on his part will be obliged to offtake the submitted gas volumes or pay for it (take or pay).
IBBI chief said “Ground seems ready for new options to resolve stressed assets
- The ground seems to be prepared to try different options with a resolution of stress and the market is foreseeing a hybrid system between a court-supervised indebtedness structure and an out-of-court restructuring plan.
- He further added, “Since some tasks of an insolvency proceeding are completed before the formal process begins, and some elements of the formal process are avoided, pre-pack saves both on costs and time”.
Saurav Ganguly suffers mild heart attack
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Sourav Ganguly is stable and under observation.
- Has undergone angioplasty following hospitalisation for chest pain.
- Currently admitted at the Woolands hospital in Kolkata after reports claimed he suffered a ‘mild’ heart attack.
- The hospital issued a bulletin on Sunday, and stated that his health parameters were ‘normal.’
Arjun Tendulkar selected in Mumbai’s senior squad
- Arjun Tendulkar, the 21-year-old left-arm pacer and son of cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar.
- Is picked in Mumbai’s senior team for the first time on Saturday.
- Featuring in an extended 22-member squad for the upcoming Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
- Confirmed by the Mumbai team’s chief selector Salil Ankola on Saturday.
Indian hockey team leaves for Argentina for match
- The Indian women’s hockey team, led by Rani Rampal, left the country for the tour of Argentina.
- The team was forced to train at the Sports Authority of India centre in Bengaluru as international competition came to a halt due to the covid-19 pandemic.
- The Indian team is scheduled to play four matches (January 26, 28, 30, 31).
Five Indian players placed in isolation
- Five India Test players, including Vice captain Rohit Sharma, wicket-keeper Rishabh Pant, opener Shubman Gill, Pruthvi Shaw, Navdeep Saini have been placed in isolation.
- After a video surfaced showing them eating inside Melbourne restaurant on the New year
- An investigation launched into a possible breach of the COVID-19 bio-security protocol by them.
BCCI has to negotiate inorder to get tax exemption
- BCCI could end up paying a massive Rs 906 crore tax if the Union Government declines to grant full tax exemption for staging the ICC T20 World Cup in the country this year.
- Even if the government grants partial exemption, the board has to pay at least Rs 227 crore tax, if it wants to host the tournament.
DEFENCE, MED, TECH AND SCIENCE
400 million km within 163 days: China heads Mars.
- China’s Mars probe heads for red planet.
- According to the CNSA, the probe is functioning stably and is scheduled to slow down before entering Mars orbit in more than a month and preparing itself to land on the red planet.
- It was about 130 million km from Earth and about 8.3 million km from Mars,the country’s space agency said.
ISRO working on Hydrogen peroxide: On the path of green fuels
- The ISRO Chairman has said that
- ISRO is working on green fuels like hydrogen peroxide for rockets.
- The Indian space rockets are set to go green as ISRO is working to replace its existing hazardous fuel with non-hazardous and environment- friendly fuels for its rockets and satellite.
- He also said that the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is looking at green propulsion through hydrogen peroxide in its rocket that would take Indians into the space under its `Gaganyaan` mission.
Science and Technology Policy: Draft STIP 2020
- Science and Technology Policy, The Draft STIP 2020 proposes establishing STI financial authority, STI bank for enhanced funding in key areas
- A corpus fund will also be established for investing in various long and medium-term projects, commercial ventures, start-ups, technology diffusion and licensing to address identified priority areas in the STI ecosystem, the policy states.
Pak-based terror groups resort to cyber recruitment in J-K: said Officials
- On Sunday, As security forces tighten noose,Pakistan’s intelligence agency and terror groups are now carrying out recruitment in Jammu and Kashmir using applications in cyber and mobile space as direct physical interactions have become difficult due to the security forces’ hawk-eyed vigil,said the official sources.
- Fake videos of alleged atrocities committed by the security forces and building a false narrative are now often used by the ISI handlers from Pakistan to whip up emotions among the new recruits, they said, citing intelligence reports and technical surveillance.