PROLAWCTOR DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS INSIGHTS
Contents of Article
Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jaganmohan Reddy sticks to allegations against judges; Files affidavit after CJI SA Bobde asks for “complaint on oath”
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister (CM) YS Jaganmohan Reddy filed an affidavit before the Chief Justice of India (CJI), SA Bobde in which he reiterated his allegations against Chief Justice of the Andhra Pradesh High Court and sitting Supreme Court judge, Justice NV Ramana.
- Reddy had earlier written a letter to CJI Bobde detailing his allegations against the judges.
- The affidavit was filed after the office of CJI asked Reddy to make his complaint “on oath.”
- Complaint on oath essentially means stating complaint in an affidavit so that the complainant can be held accountable if the allegations are proven to be false.
Private Doctor’s opinion can’t be accepted to determine medical fitness of police force aspirant: Delhi High Court
- In the case of Priyanka vs UOI, the Delhi HC has stated that a private or other government doctor’s opinion which is contrary to that of the doctors of Armed or Police Forces cannot be accepted to determine the medical fitness of a police force aspirant.
- The court has said that a contrary opinion of private or other government doctors could not be accepted as they are unaware of the demands of the duties of forces personnel.
Talking sarcastically, taunting daughter-in-law is wear and tear of married life: Mumbai court grants anticipatory bail to in-laws
- Talking sarcastically and taunting daughter-in-law is part of married life and cannot be a ground to seek custody of aged in-laws, a Mumbai court said while granting anticipatory bail to the in-laws accused of cruelty under Section 498A of Indian Penal Code (IPC).
- For those allegations, the custody of the applicants who are aged 80 years and 75 years respectively, is not required, the Court held.
Jammu and Kashmir High Court suspends Sub-Judge from service after complaint by Bar Association
- The president of Bar association, Uri, Shamim Ahmad Chalkoo said that a complaint was lodged against Lone by the Bar Association a few days back.
- In this regard, a preliminary inquiry was initiated against Lone by the Principal District and Sessions Judge, Baramullah.
- The report pursuant to that inquiry was forwarded to the High Court after which the High Court decided to place him under suspension.
On first day of New Year, PM Modi pens poem to strike message of optimism, resolve
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday greeted the nation on the first day of the New Year and shared a poem to give a message of optimism and resolve to win over darkness and obstacles.
866 academics sign open letter to back farm laws
- More than 850 academics have signed an open letter to express their support for three contentious farm laws.
CBI charges Shakti Bhog Foods for defrauding 10 banks of Rs 3,269 crore
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has filed an FIR against Shakti Bhog Foods Limited on the complaint of State Bank of India (SBI) for defrauding 10 banks to the tune of Rs 3,269 crore.
Protesters dump dung outside Punjab BJP leaders’ house, raise slogans against Centre
- A group of people unloaded a dung-filled trolley in front of the residence of former Punjab minister Tikshan Sud in Hoshiarpur.
Renaming Aurangabad becomes new flashpoint between Sena, Congress
- The Shiv Sena has been demanding that Aurangabad should be renamed after the Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj.
- However, the Congress has put its foot down saying it will oppose any such move.
Flights between India and UK to resume from January 8
- Flights between India and the UK will resume partially from January 8, Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri on Friday said.
800 cases disposed of in 2020 despite Covid-19, bank frauds an emerging challenge: CBI Director RK Shukla
- CBI Director Rishi Kumar Shukla said the organisation was able to dispose of 800 cases in 2020 despite the Covid-19 pandemic.
Gunmen kill prominent journalist in western Afghanistan
- Bismillah Adil Aimaq was on the road near Feroz Koh, the provincial capital of Ghor, returning home to the city after visiting his family in a village nearby, when gunmen opened fire at the vehicle.
Pakistan provincial govt to rebuild Hindu temple vandalised by angry mob
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mahmood Khan said his government will ensure that the Hindu temple is rebuilt without delay.
Well-preserved Ice Age woolly rhino with many organs still intact found in Siberia
- A well-preserved Ice Age woolly rhino with many of its internal organs still intact has been recovered from permafrost in Siberia.
US blocked $63 million in funds of global terrorist groups: Report
- The US blocked $63 million in funds of designated terrorist groups, including Pakistan-based outfits, as part of its crackdown on foreign terrorist organisations.
- According to a report released by the US Department of Treasury on Thursday, the United States blocked $3,42,000 in funds of the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), $1,725 of the Jaish-e Mohammed (JeM) and $45,798 of the Harkat-ul-Mujahideen-al-Islami.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday released a Digital Payments Index (DPI) to measure the growth of payments digitisation in India.
- It’s based on five parameters with varying weights which include payment enablers, payment infrastructure – on supply-side and demand-side factors, payment performance and consumer centricity.
- The DPI will be published on a semi-annual basis from March 2021.
Ford cancels plan to give control of India business to Mahindra & Mahindra
- US carmaker Ford on Thursday said it is calling off its automotive joint venture with Mahindra and Mahindra due to the challenges caused by the pandemic.
- Under the deal, Ford was expected to transfer its local operations, including two factories, into a joint venture that would be majority-controlled by Mahindra.
- Ford said its independent operations in India will continue.
CBI books Shakti Bhog Foods for allegedly cheating 10 banks of ₹3,269cr
- Delhi-based Shakti Bhog Foods Limited, which sells packaged wheat flour and other items, was booked by CBI for allegedly cheating a consortium of 10 banks led by SBI of ₹3,269 crore.
- CBI booked MD Kewal Krishan Kumar and other Directors Siddharth Kumar and Sunanda Kumar. SBI claimed that the directors falsified accounts and forged documents to siphon off public funds.
Soma Mondal takes over as SAIL’s first woman chairperson
- State-owned Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) on Friday said Soma Mondal has taken charge as its first woman chairperson.
- Mondal succeeds Anil Kumar Chaudhary, who retired after serving SAIL for 36 years.
- Mondal joined SAIL in 2017 as Director (commercial) from NALCO, where she started her career. She is a graduate from National Institute of Technology, Rourkela.
South Africa to introduce two-division league system in its domestic structure
- Under the new structure, the current six-team franchise make-up will be dissolved and replaced by a 15-team first-class system.
- Although CSA has not yet specified a date for the change.
Edinson Cavani at peace after accepting three-match ban for Instagram post
- Edinson Cavani used the word “negrito” in an Instagram post after Manchester United’s victory over Southampton on November 29, before taking it down and apologising.
Jasprit Bumrah has mastered the art Pakistanis used to have once: Shoaib Akhtar
- Shoaib Akhtar believes that Jasprit Bumrah’s greatest asset is his ability to alter length in a small corridor and deceive the batsman first in the air and then off the pitch.
Sead Kolasinac leaves Arsenal to return to Schalke on short-term loan
- Sead Kolasinac will head back to the club that he joined as a youth and went on to become a first-team regular before moving to north London in 2017.