Prolawctor Daily News Update | 18 November 2020
SC refuses to entertain plea challenging constitutional validity of Epidemic Act
- SC has dismissed the plea seeking an order to strike down the operation of the Epidemic Act as unconstitutional under Article 14, 19, 21 of Indian constitution.
- A three- judge bench of Justice DY Chandrachud, Indu Malhotra and Indira Banerjee was hearing the matter.
Activists file review petition in SC against Shaheen Bagh protest judgement
- A group of activist have filed a review petition in SC against the Shaheen Bagh protest case judgement that restricts protests to a “designated area”.
- Petitioner say the language of the judgement appears to give “unrestricted discretion” to the police to take action against peaceful protesters.
SC refuses to hear bail plea of Nagpur man held for tweets against Uddhav Thackeray, his son
- SC refuses to entertain bail plea of an individual arrested from Gujrat for posting allegedly objectionable comments in his tweets against Maharashtra CM and his son.
- Three-Judge bench of SC, asked Thackeray’s counsel to approach the Bombay HC with the plea.
16 on “posts of prominence” in Andhra booked by CBI for defaming SC, HC judges on social media
- On the direction of the Andhra Pradesh High Court, the CBI has filed on FIR against 16 people for defaming judge of AP High Court and the SC.
- The CBI move come AP high court directed the agency to probe the role of the person’s occupying high positions and associated with the government for allegedly being involved in waging war against the judicial system in the state of AP.
Troop cuts from Afghanistan and Iraq expected to be ordered by Trump
- A formal order is expected to be issued by Trump for drawing US troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- An informal order has been received by US Central Command. Before Trump leaves office, the expected order would reduce 4,500 and 3,00 troops from Afghanistan and Iraq respectively.
- This comes after Defense Secretary Mark Esper was fired by Trump and replaced other top officials at the Pentagon with loyalists last week.
Top hacker Peiter Zatko aka Mudge appointed as head of security by Twitter
- With the aim to tackle everything from engineering missteps to misinformation, Twitter appointed Peiter as its head of security. This comes after increased threat of regulation and plagued by serious security breaches.
- After a 45 to 60-day review, Mudge is expected to take over management of key security functions. Board mandate of recommending changes in structure and practices is given to him.
Govt. ban to be defied by Pak opposition, mega rally to be held on November 22
- Defying govt.’s diktat banning jalsas citing pandemic, the opposition party PDM (Pakistan Democratic Movement) will hold a mega rally on November 22.
- Pakistan PM Imran Khan declared ban on rallies and gathering amidst growing protests over the emerging election results in the Gilgit Baltistan region.
- Islamabad’s decision to hold elections in the illegally occupied region of Gilgit-Baltistan has been slammed by India on the grounds that there is no legal basis of altering the status of the region.
Final offensive into Tigray promised by Ethiopian PM
- Warning for launching the final and crucial military operation against the govt. of the country’s rebellious northern Tigray region has been given by Ethiopia’s PM Abiy.
- As the three-day deadline to surrender has expired, it has paved the way for a final push on Mekelle, said Abiy.
- This came after precision-led and surgical air operations were carried out by the government outside Mekelle.
- Hundreds of people died on both sides, when rockets were fired by Tigrayan forces into Ethiopia’s neighbour Eritrea last weekend.
Jeff Bezos to give funds to 16 organizations that are working to protect the environment:
- Amazon founder Jeff Bezos announced on Monday in an Instagram post that he will give USD 791 million in grants as part of his Bezos Earth Fund to 16 organizations that are working to protect the environment, a report confirmed.
- Amazon has also purchased 100,000 electric delivery vehicles and invested USD 100 million into reforestation projects and “climate mitigation solutions”, further reported.
Peru awoke on Monday morning still searching for a new head of state :
- Peru’s Congress chose Monday Francisco Sagasti as interim president in a bid to defuse a severe political crisis after angry protests.
- Sagasti, 76, of the centrist Purple Party, won enough votes to lead Congress. This means that under the constitution he will assume the presidency before the elections in April, respectively.
- Sagasti will be Peru’s third president in a week after interim leader Manuel Merino resigned on Sunday, five days after he was sworn in following the ouster of his predecessor Martin Vizcarra, respectively.
Saudi Arabia reserves the right to arm itself with Nuclear Weapons:
- Saudi Arabia reserves the right to arm itself with nuclear weapons if Riyadh’s arch-rival, Iran cannot be stopped from making one, the kingdom’s minister of state for foreign affairs said.
- Adel al-Jubeir told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur that, It is definitely an option”, in a recent interview.
- If Iran becomes a nuclear power, more countries would follow suit and Saudi Arabia has made it very clear, that it will do everything it can to protect its people and to protect its territories respectively.
Inputs given by citizens for ‘Mann Ki Baat’ admired by PM Modi
- Citizens appreciated by PM Modi for giving input for his monthly radio program, ‘Mann Ki Baat’.
- Mann Ki Baat scheduled to be air on November 29.
- PM Modi tweeted, “we celebrate the accomplishments of outstanding people working for society good. But for stop but for every example shared, there are many I am unable to share due to paucity of time. But, I do read many of the inputs and they are truly valuable.
BJP MP Rita Bahuguna’s 6 year old granddaughter dies of burn in Prayagraj
- Six-year-old Kiya was severely injured at night while burning firecrackers.
- Doctors had said that she had scorched about 60%
- Initial treatment was being done in Private hospital in Prayagraj, but she died during treatment.
- Kiya was the only granddaughter of Rita Bahuguna
Near Guwahati airport, 11 fake Army men arrested
- 11 fake Army personnel near Guwahati airport detained by Azara police.
- 5 motorcycles, one vehicle and fake IDs was recovered by the police from the fake army men.
- The group was involved in fraudulent activities in various parts of Guwahati.
Former Himachal Pradesh speaker, Tulsi Ram dies at palampur
- Tulsi Ram dies at 78 due to prolonged illness.
- Himachal Pradesh CM Jai Ram Thakur & others condoled the death of Tulsi Ram.
- CM Thakur said, “Tulsi Ram’s contribution for the development of the Bharmour assembly constituency were immense and he would always be remembered”.
BRICS summit: PM Modi and President Xi Jingping met at the virtual Summit
- The BRICS virtual Summit focused on economic recovery Amid the covid-19 pandemic.
- PM Modi spoke on Global stability, shared security and innovative growth at the 12th BRICS summit
- PM Modi and Xi Jingping met for the second time, since India-China border standoff.
- India is set to host the next BRICS meeting in 2021.
Former Union Minister Jaysingrao Gaikwad Patil leaves Bharatiya Janata Party
- Ex Union Minister and Parliament member Jaysingrao Gaikwad Patil who was scorned and refused ticket in recent elections for Maharashtra Legislative Council had quit the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- He was an eminent leader from Central Maharashtra who has been elected from Aurangabad Constituency for representing in the council. He later served as Parliament member from Beed and as a Minister during Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s Government.
NPRD sought NHRC’s interference for providing basic amenities to activist Stan Swamy
- The NPRD (National platform for the Rights of the Disabled) has requested NHRC (National Human Rights Commission) for interference in order to give appropriate assistance and aid to Father Stan Swamy who is a tribal activist in the Taloja Jail.
- Stan Swamy is a Jesuit priest who has been arrested on January 1, 2008 for apparently inciting mob in Pune. He suffers from Parkinson’s disease and has filed application in s Special Court seeking allowance to use straw and a sipper.
Yogi Adiyanath and Trivendra Singh Rawat pays visit to Badrinath Temple
- On Tuesday, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat visited Badrinath Temple. They were supposed to visit on Monday after the ceremony at Kedarnath Temple but were unable due to heavy snowfall.
- They prayed at the Himalayan Shrine and chanted Vedic hymns after which they left for ceremony of laying foundation stone of a guest house which is being built by Government of Uttar Pradesh.
“Pakistan becomes ‘Pavlovian’ whenever India is mentioned” slams India at UNGA
- On Monday, UN Ambassador T S Tirumurti who is India’s permanent representative spoke in the General Assembly of UN on the topic of equitable representation and increase in membership of the UNSC (United Nation Security Council) which at present consist of only five permanent and 10 non-permanent member.
- When Munir Akram, UN Ambassador for Pakistan made comment on Line of Control opposing UNSC membership of India, T S Tirumurti slammed him for references stating that he do not want to waste the time of assembly by answering irrelevant and irresponsible remarks of the Pakistan’s representative.
Indian citizens won’t tolerate any unholy global gathbandhan like Gupkar Alliance – Amit Shah
- On Tuesday, Union Minister Amit Shah retorted at various political parties which have come together and formed People’s Alliance for Gupkar Declaration (PAGD) in Kashmir and said that those who are in support of Article 370 wants to take away rights of many women, Dalits and tribal.
- He tweeted that this coalition of parties is against national interest and Indian citizens will not tolerate any ‘unholy global gathbandhan’.
Sensex, Nifty scale record highs after positive coronavirus vaccine developments
- Indian shares opened at record highs on Tuesday, playing catch-up with overseas gains after a long weekend on news that U.S. drugmaker Moderna Inc’s coronavirus vaccine was 94.5% effective in preventing infection.
- By 0405 GMT, the blue-chip NSE Nifty 50 index .NSEI rose as much as 1.2% to hit an all-time peak of 12,934.05 and the benchmark S&P BSE Sensex .BSESN gained 1.19% to touch a new high of 44,161.16.
- Indian drugmaker Biological E. Ltd on Monday became the latest company in the country to start human trials of its vaccine candidate.
WPI inflation at 8-month high of 1.48 pc in Oct on costlier manufactured items
- The wholesale price-based inflation rose to an eight-month high of 1.48 per cent in October, as manufactured products turned costlier.
- The WPI inflation was 1.32 per cent in September and zero per cent in October last year.
- This is the highest level of Wholesale price index-based (WPI) inflation since February when it was 2.26 per cent.
- Food inflation in October stood at 6.37 per cent, as against 8.17 per cent in the previous month.
- The rate of price rise in vegetables and potato remained high at 25.23 per cent and 107.70 per cent, respectively, during the month.
RCEP Trade Deals: 15 Asian nations sign China-backed
- Hanoi: Fifteen Asia-Pacific countries on Sunday signed the world’s biggest free trade deal, seen as a huge coup for China in extending its influence.
- The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) includes 10 Southeast Asian economies along with China, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Australia, with members accounting for around 30 percent of global GDP.
India’s October fuel demand marks first year-on-year gain in 8 months
- India’s fuel demand in October rises, registers first year-on-year gain in 8 months.
- For the first time in eight months, India’s fuel demand has registered a year-on-year increase in October.
- The increase in fuel consumption last month is a result of increased economic activity during the seasonally active festive quarter.
- Consumption of refined fuels, a proxy for oil demand, has jumped 2.5 per cent in October from the prior year to 17.78 million tonnes and nearly 15 per cent higher in comparison to the previous month, according to data from the Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell (PPAC) of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas showed.
India’s exports fell 5.12 per cent in October, trade deficit reduced to $8.71 bn
- India’s exports fell 5.12 per cent to $24.89 billion in October, after recording positive growth in September, on account of drop in shipments of petroleum products, gems and jewellery, leather and engineering goods, according to government data released on Friday.
- Trade deficit in October narrowed to $8.71 billion as against $11.75 billion in the corresponding month a year ago.
- Imports also fell 11.53 per cent to $33.6 billion (year-on-year) in October 2020.
TOI uncapped Indian XI: IPL 2020
- Rituraj Gaikwad, Devdutt Padikkal, Suryakumar Yadav Ishan Kishan Deepak Hooda Rahul Tevatia, Abdul Samad Shivam Mavi, Arshdeep Singh, Natarajan, Varun Chakravarti and Priyam Garg are the players who performed well this season
- These players made a Stellar impact in this season’s IPL and played an extraordinary cricket
- Indian selectors must be having their eyes on this players as these players are of great calibre and could perform well if given chance to play for India’s first team
Hockey India state number units form h 1 Masters Committee
- Former Captain Pargat Singh, Mir Ranjan Negi and Gurbux Singh has been included in this committee.
- The initiative will provide opportunities for all age groups to continue their passion for hockey.
- H1 had joined 38 other national associations from all around the world as a member of the World Masters Hockey (WMH)
- The only goal of this master’s committee is to encourage players to come back in the field and play hockey
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, MEDICINE AND DEFENCE
NEW DELHI: Against Pakistan dossier, India mounts diplomatic offensive
- Foreign minister S Jaishankar hit out at Pakistan as being an “egregious example of state-sponsored cross-border terrorism” even as the government aims to robustly counter Pakistan’s latest “terror dossier” gambit.
- Indian missions, particularly in the immediate neighbourhood, P5 countries and OIC countries, have mounted diplomatic moves to counter Pakistan’s latest effort to paint the terror tag on India.
- On Sunday, the MEA issued a spirited statement against a press conference by Pakistani foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.
Calls for security for CPEC, China silent on Pakistan’s allegations against India on terrorism
- China on Monday evaded a direct response to Pakistan’s allegations that India was behind some of the terror attacks in that country, as Beijing put the onus of providing effective security for the USD 60 billion China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) on Islamabad.
- India on Sunday mounted a hard-hitting attack on Pakistan for accusing it of involvement in some of the terror strikes in that country and said the so-called claims of proof’ are figments of imagination.
Apple foldable smartphone to launch in September 2022: Report
- The company is stated to be in active discussions with a number of material suppliers from Taiwan – Hon Hai and Nippon Nippon – for its foldable smartphone.
- The report has stated that the foldable phone from Apple may utilise OLED or Micro LED screen technology.
- The company is reportedly testing out the screen and bearings of their first-ever foldable phone.
SpaceX capsule with four astronauts docks at space station
- The space station is about 250 miles (400 km) above Earth.
- SpaceX’s Crew Dragon had been under development for roughly a decade.
- The launch marked SpaceX’s first operational mission for NASA.