Prolawctor Daily News Update
J&K HC CJ Gita Mittal constitutes an “Arbitration Committee” for J&K International Arbitration Centre
- Only a few days ago, the J&K High Court has affirmed the approval to set up JKIAC (J&K International Arbitration Centre).
- The Jammu and Kashmir High Court Chief Justice Gita Mittal has constituted an “Arbitration Committee” for the recently approved Jammu and Kashmir International Arbitration Centre (JKIAC), annexed to the High Court premises.
SC allows Aircel’s plea giving directions to the NCLAT to consider the questions framed by the Court in the 1st September judgment in AGR case
The bench of Justices S. Abdul Nazeer and BR Gavai directed;
“In view of above, we direct the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal to first consider the various questions framed in paragraphs ‘18’ to ‘22’ of the Judgment, mentioned above, and pass a reasoned order in accordance with paragraph ‘23’ thereof.”
Gujarat HC accords its decision of starting publication of select HC Orders/Judgments in Gujarati Language
- The notice states; “Honorable the Chief Justice has been pleased to pass directions to start uploading one order/judgment of this High Court per working day in Gujarati language on the website of the High Court for the benefit of litigants and the general public.”
- Furthermore, this practice of uploading vernacular Order/Judgments has been initiated from Friday (2nd October, 2020) on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti and the Press Release also clarified that such orders and judgments of vernacular translation would be for general information only.
Bombay HC held making a mandatory requisite for a special meeting to move a motion of no-confidence against the Chairman or Deputy Chairman
- The Court held that it is mandatory that the requisition for a special meeting to move a motion of no-confidence against the Chairman or Deputy Chairman is either hand delivered or posted through a registered post to the Collector.
- The Court further said that it is the Collector under Section 72(3) of the Maharashtra Zilla Parishads and Panchayat Samitis Act, 1961, therein who has to call a meeting within seven days from the date of requisition.
Madras HC questions as to whether the women marrying the life convicts are examined by the SCW or NCW
The Court rebuked; “It is seen that in many cases, women are getting married to the life convicts and this Court is unable to find out as to how the consent of the women has been obtained.”
The Court taking into consideration the safeguarding of the rights of the women, questioned as to whether the women marrying the life convicts are examined by the State Commission for Women or National Commission for Women in order to ascertain as to whether the consent of the women is there or not.
Telangana HC directs re-postmortem of the three deceased persons allegedly killed by the Naxal Wing of the state police in a cross-fire between the police and the Maoists due to suspicion of wiping out of the evidence
- The Court directed the re-postmortem examination of the three deceased persons (two women and one man) to be conducted by a team of Forensic Experts from MGM Hospital, Warangal and also directed the concerned authorities to submit the photographs and video graph of the same before the Court.
- The direction comes in order to ensure that there is no wiping out of evidences of the alleged brutal encounter.
Gujarat HC launches the issuance of eWrit Module to send digitally signed copies of Bail Orders from HC to District Courts
- The action comes on the recommendation of the Judges of the ICT & e-Governance Committee of the HC.
- A new module to make available digitally signed Bail Orders of the HC to the concerned District Courts across the State was therefore launched on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti, by the Chief Justice Vikram Nath.
Delhi HC discusses in detail the legislative intent and applicability of “reverse burden” under Section 29 of the POCSO Act
The Court observed that certain very significant factor requires to be addressed in addition to general principles of granting bail while hearing a bail application for offences alleged under the POCSO Act.
Mecca reopens for limited Umrah Pilgrimage
- Mecca reopens for limited Umrah Pilgrimage after seven months of pause due to pandemic.
- The Umrah usually attracts millions of Muslims across the globe.
- Social distancing paths have been followed; health precautions adopted.
Home Secretary to deliver biggest overhaul
- Priti Patel, The Home Secretary to deliver the biggest overhaul of the United Kingdom’s asylum system in decades.
- She will bring this into the notice of the Conservative Party conference that the system is fundamentally broken and is expected to promise one that is firm and fair.
- The step took place after the UK has considered sending asylum seekers to an island in the Atlantic.
Tropical storm hits Yucatan Peninsula
- Tropical storm, Gamma hits Yucatan Peninsula with torrential rain, gusty winds.
- More than 12 inches of rain possible due to Gamma’s slow movement.
- Winds of 50mph reported.
- 9 inches rain reported in Cozumel, Mexico.
Suspicious package spotted near the Hospital where Trump is admitted
- Suspicious package found near Walter Reed National Medical Centre.
- US President, Donald Trump has been admitted there for treatment of COVID.
- The area was blocked after the package was spotted.
Pakistan military kills terrorists in North Waziristan
- Two terrorists were killed by Pakistan military.
- A terrorist was arrested following the operation of Mir Ali in North Waziristan district.
- The terrorists have been involved in several attacks and killings on civilians and security forces.
- This was the second operation by Pakistan military in North Waziristan.
New Caledonia Voted to Remain French
- Archipelago voted to remain French with 53.26% of votes
- Similar elections took place two years ago where 56.7% voted to remain French
- New Caledonia is a French territory for nearly 170 years
- New Caledonia has large deposits of nickel
- It is one of the 17 non-self-governing territories of United Nations
Tropical Strom Gamma hits Mexico
- Gamma meandered off Yucatan Peninsula on Sunday
- It is slow-moving tropical storm which brought threats of flood along with it
- According to National Hurricane Centre Miami Gama had maximum sustained winds of 50mph
Honduran Migrants Bused Back to Their Homeland
- Thousands of people have entered Guatemala from Honduras illegally on last Thursday
- Honduras government said it is preventing people from migrating illegally
6 Police Officers Killed by a Gunman in Mexico
- Mexican authorities are looking for him
- Two other people also died in the attack
- The attack occurred in Sinaloa drug cartel which is an active area
NLU Delhi has released result for AIELT 2020 :
- National Law University Delhi released results for All India Law Entrance Test. The results can be checked by candidates through the official website- nludelhi.ac.in .
- AILET is a computer based entrance which was held on 26th September. The counselling process for LLB (Hons.) is to be held from 7th October while LLM to be held from 9th October.
- Just 73 seats are available out of which 52 is open for students from general category whereas 11 seats are reserved for Scheduled Castes category, 5 for Scheduled Tribes category, 2 for Persons with Disabilities & 3 for Kashmiri migrants. 10 additional seats are there for foreign nationals. 20 seats are available annually for LLM programme.
Chairman of SC appointed committee has alleged violations of court orders in execution of Chardham road project
- The chairman of Chardham committee has alleged violations of Supreme Court orders in the execution of the road project which covers a 900 km, ₹12,000 crore enterprise in order to connect pilgrimage spots in Uttarakhand.
- SC committee was divided over width where one set of members said it is only be 5.5-metre-wide & other plumbing for higher road width. SC had ruled previously that 5.5-metre width is to be enforced. MoRTH is key coordinator of Chardham project. Govt. sanctioned a road width of 10-12 metres.
- Mr. Chopra had demanded that officials explain how contraventions were ongoing.
- Mr. Chopra denounced report which is sent by other members & in a letter to Union Environment Ministry Secretary said was pressured & harassed to submit one-sided view by certain committee members.
Congress to repeal farm laws which promises Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi had hit out at BJP-led NDA govt. at the Centre which accused it of playing into hands of big corporates which is to compromise interests of farming community.
- Mr. Gandhi who had kick-started Congress party’s three-day tractor rally which is Kheti Bachao Yatra that is against three recent farm sector legislations said Congress will repeal legislations as soon as it was back in power.
- Congress leader had added that new laws aimed at eventually dismantling Minimum Support Price structure & govt. procurement system which was said that would break backbone of farmers just like British had done to seize control of India.
Refinance scheme launched by NABARD.
- A special refinance facility has been announced by National Bank for agriculture and rural development to support the government’s water, sanitization and hygiene program.
- Rs 800 crore has been allocated for this program.
Saurya missile successfully tested by India
- India successfully tested fire the advanced version of shaurya surface to surface nuclear capable ballistic missile in State of Odisha.
- This missile will be lighter and easier to operate.
- This missile can strike the targets in the range of about 800 km.
First conservation centre of UP for vultures
- Conservation program and breeding center of vultures will be in the state of UP that would be established in Bhari baisi village in Farenda range of Gorakhpur Forest.
- It will be the first conservation and breeding centre of vultures in India.
Special kisan credit card loan for fishermen
- Special kisan credit loan introduced by Chennai Headquarter Indian Bank for Tamil Nadu fishermen.
- Loan up to Rs 2 lakh, will be provided as working capital and low- interest rate.
SC | Plea to squash the CLAT
- Lavanya Bhatt, Uttar Pradesh on seeing the petitions filed by many students across the country, reached the Supreme Court to squash the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) and to conduct it again.
- The plea said that the CLAT should be declared as “erroneous, faulty, defective, discriminatory and violative of fundamental rights of the Constitution”
- The test was conducted on September 28 by online. The complaint said that the answers displayed are different from the one’s they tick.
Rahul Gandhi says that the farm laws will be abolished
- The congress’s former president Mr. Rahul Gandhi said that the laws regarding the agriculture will be abolished by their party.
- They started the tractor rally against the farm laws.
- They said that they stay by the farmers and will repeal the laws when they get in the power.
Health minister says nearly 25 crores Indians are to vaccinated | COVID – 19
- On Sunday, the Union Minister Dr. Harsha Vardhan said that nearly 25 crores Indians will be vaccinated against the Corona virus by July 2021
- The reports will generated by the end of October, he said
- He also added that the first priority of giving vaccines will be given the health workers.
- The entire process is formulated by the Dr V K Paul, Niti Aayog Member (Health) in a high level committee.
State-run Indraprastha Gas Limited announced major cut-off in CNG and PNG prices:
- The state-run Indraprastha Gas Limited gives relief in price of CNG and PNG
- The new prices will come into effect from 6.00 am on October 4, 2020.
- The price of CNG has been reduced by ₹ 1.53 per kg to ₹ 42.70 per kg in Delhi and by ₹ 1.70 per kg to ₹ 48.38 per kg in Noida, Greater Noida and Ghaziabad.
- The PNG have been reduced by ₹ 1 per scm from ₹ 28.45 per scm to ₹ 27.45 per scm.
The Centre has been purchased 5.73 lakh tonne of paddy:
- On Saturday, The centre has been purchased 5.73 lakh tonne of paddy worth Rs 1,082.46 crore at the Minimum support price in the last eight days from most cultivated states Punjab and Haryana. Besides paddy, cotton procurement has also begun from October 2.
- State-run Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) has procured a cumulative quantity of 147 bales at Rs 40.80 lakh MSP value benefiting 29 farmers on 3 September.
The Government may take compensation from borrowers
The Finance Minister has decided to take compensation from borrowers who did not avail the six-month moratorium.
Sadiyo mane tested positive for coronavirus ;
Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has been tested positive for coronavirus. He announced it via his instagram handle. He is the second player from the franchise who has been tested positive for coronavirus.
NBA may not stop for Olympics
NBA commissioner Adam Silver said that he does not think that the NBA will pause a delayed 2021 season to allow players to compete in the Tokyo Olympics.
Stoke news for Rajasthan Royals;
England’s all-rounder Ben Stokes has arrived in the UAE and will join the Rajasthan Royals side after spending 6 day quarantined. This is certainly good news for Rajasthan Royals.
Djokovic advanced to the last 16 of French Open
Top seeded Novak Djokovic has maintained his stunning form and defeated his 153rd rank counterpart Daniel Glan easily by 6-0,6-3,6-2. While Stan Wawrinka has suffered a shock exit from the tournament.