Prolawctor Daily News Update
Contents of Article
After 1 year in jail rape accused got acquitted
- Under POCSO Act a man was imprisoned for about a year.
- Victim girl denied to recognize him and any connections with him.
- Court observed that now when the victim is mature and aware of right and wrong her statement is important. And there’s no other evidence against the accused
High Court asks Centre, is excessive reporting of media a hindrance to justice
- Court observed that sometimes media’s excessive reporting on guards accused and they can tamper evidence.
- Court asked to government if there should be a limit given to media houses for their reporting
Cognizance of a rape victim on ventilator has been taken by NCW
- 21 year old rape victim gave her statement while she was on ventilator.
- National Commission for Women has taken cognizance of her statement.
- Woman was admitted in Gurugram hospital as she has tuberculosis.
- Police complaint was filed by her father after she gained consciousness and reported about the sexual assault.
Apex Court suggested to opt for bicycles and stop using motorbikes and cars
- Hearing case of stubble burning and pollution in Delhi Bench observed that it’s not stubble burning alone that’s polluting the air.
- Bench mentioned that researchers and experts have evidences that provides information about the large amount of pollution through these motorbikes and cars.
- It’s time now that we start using bicycles for transportation.
New Zealand euthanasia: Assisted dying to be legal for terminally ill people
- New Zealand has voted to legalize euthanasia.
- The law will allow terminally ill people with less than six months to live the opportunity to choose assisted dying if approved by two doctors.
- Its opponents say the law lacks adequate safeguards such as the law would contradict and undermine suicide prevention.
Qatar to prosecute officials over forced exams of women at the airport
- Forced gynaecological exams were carried out on women flying to Sydney.
- Several airport officials have been referred for prosecution.
- Qatar’s Government Communication Office (GCO) stated that airport authorities took action after a new-born baby girl was “found in a trash can, concealed in a plastic bag and buried under garbage”, in an apparent attempt to kill her.
Earthquake in the Aegean rattles Greece and Turkey
- A powerful earthquake has struck off Turkey’s Aegean coast, north of the Greek island of Samos.
- The tremor of 7.0 magnitudes was centre off Turkey’s Izmir province and was felt as far away as Athens and Istanbul.
- There were no reports of casualties so far but six buildings had collapsed in Izmir city.
China urges the US not to be a haven for criminals and their assets
- China said that the United States should not become a haven for Chinese criminals’ ill-gotten wealth.
- As per China, the US also denied that five people arrested in the United States for conspiring to coerce a Chinese family to go home were its law enforcement officers.
Walmart pulls guns from display over ‘civil unrest’ concerns
- Walmart has removed gun and ammunition from display in thousands of its stores in the United States, citing concerns of “civil unrest”
- The decision comes after the fatal police shooting in Philadelphia triggered protests that saw some shops looted.
- Customers will still be able to buy guns and ammunition on request.
Muslims have ‘right to kill’ French people, says former Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad
- Hours after an attack in France’s Nice city in which a woman was beheaded and two others were killed at a church, former Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad said that Muslims have the right to kill millions of French people.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurated Gujarat’s ‘nutrition park’
- PM Narendra Modi, on Friday inaugurated the world’s first-ever technology-driven nutrition park for children. The nutrition of children is main concern not just for the parents but for any nation as a whole.
- This Children’s Nutrition Park, on the lap of the iconic Statue of Unity, which was made in remembrance of Sardar Patel and went on to become a great tourist attraction, will add to that.
- This nutrition park is built in an area of 35,000 sq ft. It will raise nutritional awareness through fun means.
- Though the government had started mid-day meal and ISKCON has its own mass meal facility, many a time malnourishment has been found even among financially well off families and the reason is lack of awareness about nutrition.
ICMR studies say that BCG vaccine might help elderly fight against COVID-19
- The Bacille Calmette-Guerin or BCG vaccine, originally made against tuberculosis, may help in the management of Covid-19, mainly in the elderly, says a study by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- The BCG vaccination is famous to induce innate immune memory, which provides protection against several infections, the study uploaded as preprint at medRxiv, reported
- A study published in the journal ‘Cell Reports Medicine’, also revealed that the BCG vaccine has a common stimulating effect on the immune system and is, therefore, effective against Covid-19.
Amazon will continue to invest in India amidst feud with Reliance
- As the face-off between Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) and Amazon continues, the Jeff Bezos-run global e-commerce huge has said that it will not stop to invest in India where the company has witnessed robust growth.
- Amazon has invested $5 billion in India and in January this year; Bezos told that the company will invest another $1 billion to empower 10 million Indian small and medium businesses (SMBs).
- Flipkart Group and Amazon jointly accounted for over 90 per cent of the total online sales during the seven-day period, according to Bengaluru-based consulting firm RedSeer.
Goa CM Pramod Sawant said that Foreign forces, fuelling protests against Goa government
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Friday pointed that foreign “forces” were trying to destabilise the BJP-led coalition government by going against its decisions.
- Nearly 50,000 trees in the Western Ghats region of Goa are indicated for felling for multiple Central government projects which involves expansion of railway lines and highways and drawing of a new high tension power, spread across protected forests in and around Mollem village, located in the Western Ghats region.
- The electricity project is aimed at drawing 400 KVA power lines from Karnataka and construction of a substation, which will join the Southern and Western power grids and is expected to enhance power quality in Goa.
PAGD condemns actions of state administration on Farooq Abdullah’s movements
- The People’s Alliance for Gupkar Declaration (PAGD) has condemned the actions of the state administration, which has put a blockade outside the residence of Jammu and Kashmir’s former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah in Srinagar.
- The PAGD also condemned, ‘unequivocally and unambiguously the cruel assassination of three workers of the BJP’.
- Earlier, the National Conference in a press said J&K administration has blocked the residence of party president Farooq Abdullah and stopped him from offering prayers at Dargah Hazratbal.
- Ajay Jayaram and Shubhankar Dey out of SaarLorLux open.
- They are out of the league due to coming in contact with covid positive father cum coach Lakshay Sen.
- They are in isolation the reason of them being out of the SaarLorLux Open.
Indian Super League
- ATK Mohun Bagan to face Kerala blasters in Indian Super League.
- ISL to start from November 20.
DEFENCE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICINE NEWS
Anti-ship Missile test fired by INS Kora at maximum range in the bay of Bengal.
- The anti-ship missile is successfully tested by Indian Navy guided Missile Corvett INS kora with accuracy in the maximum range in the Bay of Bengal.
- The ship which was targeted was destroyed and was in flames.
ISRO is going to launch Earth observation satellite EOS-01.
- On 7th November ISRO is going to launch the Earth observation Satellite EOS-01 from spaceport of Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh announced by ISRO on 28th October.
- There were 10 space missions to be held in this year but has been disturbed due to the pandemic, said by Chairman of ISRO k. Sivan.
PUBG mobile game Server and services has been Shut down in India.
- From 30th October onwards the PUBG mobile server is completely blocked by India as it was already banned in the country.
Recovery rate of COVID-19 rises in India and active cases fall down.
- Recovery rate in India is 91.15 % and fatality rate is 1.50 %.
- Active cases fall down to 6 lakh.
- Active cases of COVID-19 across the world is 11,248,342
- Out of the active cases 11,165,860 (99%) are in mild condition;
- 82,482 (1%) are in critical condition.
Government importing potatoes from Bhutan to stabilize the rates in the domestic market
- Consumer Affairs Minister Piyush Goyal has said that 30,000 tonnes of potato are being imported from Bhutan to boost domestic supply and moderate prices.
- The retail price of potato has been stable at around ₹42/kg for last three days, Goyal added.
- The government has imported 7,000 tonnes of onion and another 25,000 tonnes may arrive before Diwali, he further said.
Reliance Jio posts profits, three times more than last year on this quarter.
- Reliance Jio posted an almost three-fold jump in net profit to ₹2,844 crore during the July-September quarter as against ₹990 crore in the previous year. T
- The company’s revenue from operations rose by 33% to ₹17,481 crore during the second quarter from previous year’s ₹13,130 crore.
- Average revenue per user (ARPU) rose for the fourth straight quarter to ₹145 per month.
TATA Group to set up 5,000 crore phone components plant in TN
- The Tata Group will invest ₹5,000 crore to set up a phone component manufacturing plant in Tamil Nadu.
- An area of 500 acres has been allotted for the unit on which group company Titan’s precision engineering division will provide expertise. “
Reliance Industries net profit falls this quarter.
- Reliance Industries posted a 15% decline in net profit for the July-September quarter at ₹9,567 crore as against ₹11,262 crore in the same period a year ago.
- The company’s revenue from operations fell 24% to ₹1.16 lakh crore as against ₹1.53 lakh crore in the previous year.
- While EBITDA came in at ₹18,945 crore, EBITDA margin stood at 17%.