Prolawctor Daily News Update | 2 November 2020
Prolawctor Daily News Update
Bar Council of India allows law colleges to physically conduct exam, gives respite to students
- Since the pandemic has persisted, BCI has further resolved that examination for all intermediary and final year law students may be held online.
- Modifying its earlier Resolution, the Bar Council of India has now provided an option to law colleges to physically conduct examination after obtaining NOC from the respective State Government and State Disaster Management Authority and making it optional for the students.
- It is clarified that if online exam is conducted and any student is unable to take it or is unable to pass such exam, such student shall be entitled to take the reappear exam/paper whenever it is held preferably within one month of physical re-opening of the Universities/College after the pandemic is averted.
Banks to be guided by scheme to pay difference between compound and simple interest: RBI to Supreme Court
- In view of COVID-19, the Central Government has approved a “Scheme for grant of ex gratia payment of difference between compound interest and simple interest for six months to borrowers in specified manner.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has informed the Supreme Court on Sunday that it has asked all banks to be guided by an October 23 “Scheme for grant of ex gratia payment of difference between compound interest and simple interest for six months to borrowers in specified loan accounts.”
- An affidavit filed by the Assistant General Manager with the Department of Supervision (Banking) of the RBI before the top Court states that in view of the unprecedented and extreme COVID-19 scenario, the October 23 scheme was put in place.
ALL INFORMATION ON COVID-19| READ HERE
Bombay High Court Full Bench to decide if POCSO convicts can be granted COVID-19 emergency parole
- A Full Bench of the Bombay High Court is now expected to decide on the issue of whether persons convicted under the Protections of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act are entitled to emergency parole in view of the COVID-19 pandemic under the Maharashtra Prisons (Mumbai Furlough and Parole (Amendment) Rules, 2020.
Typhoon Goni: the Philippines hit by year’s most powerful storm
- Typhoon Goni is barrelling across the Philippines, bringing with it “catastrophic” 225km/h (140mph) winds and torrential rainfall.
- At least four people are reported to have died. Homes have been damaged and roads inundated with flash flooding.
- Power lines have been brought down by the storm.
Oregon voters to decide on decriminalizing hard drugs in the US first
- Voters in Oregon are being asked to decide whether to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of hard drugs, including heroin and cocaine.
- Measure 110 aims to expand access to drug treatment and recovery services, in place of jail time.
Hong Kong pro-democracy politicians arrested
- Seven pro-democracy politicians in Hong Kong have been arrested over scuffles with pro-Beijing lawmakers in the city’s Legislative Council in May.
- They have been charged with contempt and interfering with members of the council.
- It is the latest in a string of arrests of China critics in Hong Kong, after a sweeping new national security law was imposed by Beijing in June.
Algeria referendum: A vote ‘to end years of deviousness’
- Algerians are voting in a referendum that is meant to cement changes made possible after long-time President Abdelaziz Bouteflika was forced to resign last year.
- But opponents say it falls short of fundamental reform.
Quebec stabbing: Two dead after an attack by a man in medieval clothes
- At least two people have been stabbed to death in the Canadian city of Quebec by a man armed with a sword and dressed in medieval clothing.
- The incident took place near the Parliament Building in the Old Quebec neighbourhood.
The Hindu reported that stubble burning share in Delhi’s pollution rises to season high of 40%.
- The share of stubble burning in Delhi’s PM 2.5 air pollution was 40% on Sunday, the maximum so far this season, according to central government’s System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR).
- As many as 3,216 farm fires were spotted over Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand on Saturday. The stubble burning’s share was 32% on Saturday.
Railways to add suburban train services in Mumbai from today
- Union Railways Minister Piyush Goyal on Sunday announced that the Railways is adding 753 suburban train services in Mumbai from November 2 onwards.
- “This will take the total number of services in Mumbai suburban to 2,773, and pave the way for safer travel,” Goyal tweeted. Railways began running 610 more daily special suburban services in Mumbai from Sunday.
Jammu and Kashmir administration annuls Roshni Act, to retrieve land within 6 months
- The J&K administration has decided to annul all land dealings under the Roshni Act, three weeks after J&K High Court declared it unconstitutional.
- The administration said it would evict encroachers and retrieve all land distributed under it within six months.
- The law was to grant the ownership of state land to its occupants, for a fee determined by the government.
27 Maoists surrender in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada
- Twenty-seven Naxals, five of them carrying cash rewards on their heads, surrendered in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday.
- An official said they were impressed by the police’s rehabilitation drive and disappointed with the Maoist ideology.
- Of them, 11 cadres are natives of Gufa village, seven from Bedma, five from Mangnar, three from Hitawada and one from Handavada, police said.
Adani Group takes over Mangalore Airport on lease for 50 years
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has officially handed over the Mangalore International Airport to the Adani Group on lease for a period of 50 years in accordance to concession agreement executed on February 14, 2020.
- With this development, Adani Group has now won the rights over six major airports namely Lucknow, Ahmedabad, Thiruvananthapuram, Jaipur, Guwahati and Mangalore.
Singapore order in Reliance and Future Retail case is not enforceable in India, says Future retail
- Future Retail has said Singapore arbitrator’s order in its dispute with Amazon regarding the Reliance deal is not enforceable under Indian law and not binding on the company.
- Amazon had won an injunction from arbitrator to halt Future Retail’s deal to sell its retail assets to Reliance Industries for $3.4 billion
Hero MotoCorp sees highest monthly sales.
- Motorcycle and scooter manufacturer Hero MotoCorp witnessed its highest-ever monthly sales of 8,06,848 in October 2020.
- During the month, dispatches of motorcycles, including exports, increased 32.5% to 7,32,498 units while that of scooters rose 59.6% to 74,350 units.
- It recorded 34.77% year-on-year rise in domestic wholesales for October 2020 to 7,91,137 units against 5,86,988 in October 2019.
Seaplane service from Statue of Unity to Ahmedabad launched by PM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday launched a seaplane service connecting the world’s tallest statue ‘Statue of Unity’ in Kevadia with Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad.
- He also flew on its first flight from the statue to Ahmedabad in the seaplane after the inauguration.
- The tickets for the 45-minute flight, operated by Spicejet, will cost as low as ₹1,500 one-way.
KKR knocks RR out of IPL 2020, jumps to 4th position from 8th on points table
- KKR defeated RR by 60 runs in Dubai on Sunday to jump from eighth position to fourth position on the IPL 2020 points table.
- With the defeat, RR crashed out of the IPL 2020 by finishing last on the points table.
- The remaining three playoff spots will be decided between KKR, RCB, DC and SRH.
Cristiano Ronaldo scores twice on return from coronavirus in Juventus win
- Cristiano Ronaldo made an immediate impact on his return from a Covid-19 infection on Sunday, scoring three minutes after coming on as a substitute before converting a penalty to lead Juventus to a 4-1 Serie A win at Spezia.
- The Series A champions, pegged back at 1-1 when the 35-year-old entered the fray, scored three times in 20 minutes after his arrival as they went second in the table.
DEFENCE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICINE NEWS
27% reservation to OBC in 31 Sainik schools, announced by The Defence Ministry.
- On Friday, the defence ministry announced 27% reservation to other backward classes in sainik schools.
- Reservation will be in effect from next academic sessions.
Delhi’s weather is still under very poor AQI.
- AQI of Delhi is 384.
- The reasons behind this is still the share of pollutants from burning in the neighbouring states, traffic pollution and also due to the dip in the temperature.
Search engine under development by Apple.
- Apple is developing its own search engine to compete with Google.
- In Apple’s iOS 14 operating system, may search engine develop by apple will began according to a financial times report.
Coronary COVID-19 medicine trial is stopped.
- Coronary medicine trail is stopped on the serious COVID-19 patients as per the advice by independent experts.
- But still drug will be used to recover less ill patients.
COVID-19 update in India.
- 8,196,332 total cases in India.
- 7,500,694 total recovered.
- 122,424 total deaths.
- 573,214 active cases.
- 8,944 critical cases.