Prolawctor Daily Current Affairs Insights
Contents of Article
Kerala High Court closes suo motu proceedings on Kozhikode medical college bio-medical waste disposal
- The Kerala High Court closed the Suo Motu petition, regarding the problems caused by the bio-medical wastes due to the non-functioning of Waste Water Management Plant in Medical College, Khozikode.
- The installation of 2 MLD functioning capacity sewage treatment plant treated a major portion of the polluted water from the hospitals.
Uttarakhand HC directs CBDT to consider extension of due date of tax audit reports, IT returns
- The Uttarakhand High Court on Friday passed order directing the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) to consider representations seeking extension of due date of filing the Tax Audit Report.
Make public Covaxin safety, efficacy results: Activist’s petition in Bombay HC
- Activist Saket Gokhale has filed a petition before the Bombay HC seeking a direction to the Drugs Controller General of India to make public the safety and efficacy trial results of the newly launched Covaxin.
- The petitioner submitted that since the vaccine is still in its third phase trial, there remains a great possibility of harm to the life.
181 Women’s Helpline: Allahabad HC seeks response from Centre, UP government
- The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court has sought a response from the Central and State Governments within a month on the closure of the 181 women’s helpline for the protection of women.
- The Women’s Helpline 181 was launched after the Nirbhaya incident on the basis of the recommendations of the Justice Verma Committee for women protection.
Calcutta HC sets up committee to maintain cleanliness, hygiene in court premises
- Calcutta HC constitutes a committee to maintain cleanliness, hygiene in court premises and asked to maintain Court buildings, including the toilets and escalators, prohibiting pasting of banners and posters along with the proper upkeep of fire and security measures.
CAIT moves supreme court against WhatsApp’s new privacy rules
- As the petition says that WhatsApp is the essential public services by enabling the citizens to communicate
- The petitions also compare the difference of approach in EU and Indian countries
- The present petitions raise the issues for concern for protecting the privacy of users of WhatsApp
BJP releases names for the legislative council polls in up
- The ATAL Bihari Vajpayee govt, held the civil aviation portfolio among others charges
- The polling of 12 legislative council seats in U.P will held on jan 28
Delhi CM Kejriwal says COVID-19 vaccine safe
- CM Kejriwal interacted with some health workers for the contribution of the pandemic
- The vaccination drive has started at 81 Centres in Delhi
Delhi zoo reports first confirmed case of bird flu as remains of owl test positive
- The lab reports confirmed the presence of H5N8 avian influenza in the dead of owl’s samples
- This leads to prompted Delhi zoo authorities to initiate sanitization drive as per the protocol
Mega COVID vaccination drive begins in India
- P.M on Saturday launched COVID -19 vaccination drive and asserted that made in India
Sanitation workers becomes first person to receive COVID vaccine at Delhi AIMS
- Manish Kumar the sanitation workers at AIMS became the first person to receive COVID 19 vaccine shot at the hospital during the nationwide vaccine on Saturday
Srinagar continues to shiver at minimum temperature of -8.2 degree Celsius
- on Friday the minimum temperature was recorded at -7.2 degree Celsius
- The local population the freezing temperature causes difficulties at the water supply gets affected .
UK will close all travel corridors from Monday : PM Johnson
- UK PM Boris Johnson said that the country would close all travel corridors from Monday to protect against the risk of as yet unidentified new strains.
- UK would require all incoming passengers to test negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours of departure he said.
- The new rules would be in place until atleast February 15, Johnson furthur said
Natherlands govt resigns after families wrongly accused of child welfare fraud
- Natherlands PM Mark Rutte’s governmemt resigned on Friday after thousands of families were wrongly accused of child welfare fraud and told to repay the money.
- The action by tax authorities forced several families into financial hardship.
- The government will remain in place in a caretaker capacity until parliamentary elections in March but tax minister Eric Wiebes quit with immediate effect.
Trump to leave Washington hours before Biden’s inauguration
- US President Donald Trump is planning to leave the White House on Wednesday Morning, just hours before President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, according to reports.
- Trump who had already announced plans not to attend Biden’s inauguration, will reportedly go to his Mar-a-lago golf club in Florida.
- Trump will be the first US President in 152 years to skip his successor’s inauguration.
Vaccinationalism of COVID-19 vaccines self-defeating : UN Chief
- As the global coronavirus death toll crossed the 20-lakh mark, UN Secratory-General Antonio Guterres warned against ‘vaccinationalism’ by government saying that its “self-defeating and will delay a global recovery”.
- Some countries are persuing side deals and even procuring vaccines beyond need.
- Guterres further said that “COVID-19 cannot be beaten one country at a time.
Not ruling out immunisation passports if situation changes : WHO
- Michael Ryan, director of World Health Organisation’s health emergencies programme on Friday said that WHO has not ruled out the possibility of introducing immunisation passports for international travel, if the situation with COVID-19 changes.
- Ryan said that until more data and vaccines are available, WHO does not feel it necessary to introduce additional barriers to the movement of people.
EESL, PCRA to distribute energy-efficient PNG stoves
- EESL has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) to distribute energy efficient PNG-based cook stoves.
- he MoU envisages implementation of the Energy Efficient PNG Cook Stove (EEPS) programme on a pan-India basis, an official statement said.
- Following user uproar, WhatsApp has now said it is giving people more time to accept the new updates.
Dalal Street week ahead: Nifty50 is now over-extended, may slip into consolidation
- Although domestic stocks logged gains on a weekly basis, they showed the first signs of an impending broad consolidation, as the market spent much of the past three days correcting from higher levels.
- The market was buoyant at the start of the week. But after marking the weekly high at 14,653, nifty continued to witness bouts of profit booking at higher levels subsequently.
Ajay Piramal wins the most contested bankruptcy bid for Dewan Housing Finance Ltd
- Billionaire Ajay Piramal NSE won the most contested bankruptcy bid for Dewan Housing Finance Ltd., trumping distressed fund Oaktree Capital and Adani Capital as creditors overwhelmingly voted for the drug-maker turned real estate and mortgage lender.
DEFENCE, MED, TECH AND SCIENCE NEWS
NASA finds FM signal coming from Jupiter’s moon Ganymede for the 1st time
- NASA’s Juno space probe has discovered an FM signal emanating from Jupitor’s moon Ganymede for the 1st time.
- One of NASA’s ambassadors to Utah clarrified that it is a “natural function” rather than a sign of extraterrestrial life.
- Electrons spiralling in Jupiter’s magnetic field are thought to be the cause of the radio noise we hear, NASA said.
Vaccinate us with Covishield : Delhi’s RML Hospital doctor’s reject Covaxin
- Resident’s doctors at Delhi’s RML Hospital requested they be administered the Serum Institute of India’s Covishield vaccine instead of Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin.
- Raising apprehension over Covaxin being preferred over Covishield in the Hospital, they wrote, we’d like to bring to your notice that the residents are a bit apprehensive obout the lack of complete trial in the case of Covaxin.
US Senate Republican asks tech firms to explain ban on conservative users
- Outgoing Republican chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee Senator Roger Wicked has asked the CEO’s of five major US tech firms to answer questikns about their decisions to restrict or permanently ban accounts of “thousands of conservative users”.
- The firms questioned are Apple, Facebook , Amazon, Alphabet and Twitter.
- He has also sought explanations for the moves against parler.
Rishabh Pant tries to smash me, looking forward to bowl to him: Nathan Lyon
- Australia spinner Nathan Lyon said that he is looking forward to bowling to Rishabh Pant as the wicketkeeper-batsman always tries to smash him.
- Lyon, playing his 100th Test for Australia, has already dismissed Rohit Sharma in the first innings.
India vs Australia: Indian fan complains of racism at SCG during third test
- Sydney Cricket Ground officials have launched an investigation after an Indian supporter alleged that he was subjected to racial profiling and abuse by a security officer during the final day of the third Test against Australia.
India vs Australia 4th Test, Day 2: Rohit says “No regret of playing that shot off Nathan Lyon”
- Rohit Sharma understands the criticism that his untimely dismissal has invited but he has “no regrets” about going after Nathan Lyon, saying that’s his way of putting bowlers under pressure.
India vs Australia: ‘There is a lot to like about him,’ Australia’s assistant coach impressed with India bowler
- Sundar, Natarajan and Thakur bowled with a lot of heart, given the big names they were replacing in the team, but one of them in particular has caught the attention of Andrew McDonald, Australia’s assistant coach.