Prolawctor Daily Current Affairs Insights
Contents of Article
- Allahabad High Court ruled that nobody is entitled to interfere in the peaceful life of two individuals living together, having attained the age of majority.
- High court was hearing a petition filed by a Hindu woman, married to a Muslim man, stating that she wanted to embrace Islam and had willfully converted.
- High Court ordered the police to provide protection to the couple.
Key accused in Budaun rape-murder case sent to 10-day judicial custody
- The key accused in Budaun rape-murder case, a local temple priest, was on Friday sent to 10-day judicial custody till January 18 by a trial court.
- The other two accused had already been arrested and sent to jail, Vijay Yadav, Assistant Prosecution Officer, CJM Court said.
- A 50-year-old woman was allegedly gangraped and murdered in Uttar Pradesh’s Budaun district.
Kangana, sister Rangoli appear before Mumbai Police in sedition case
- Kangana Ranaut and her sister, Rangoli appeared before Bandra Police to record their statements in connection with a sedition case.
- Last year, an FIR was registered against them on orders of a local court in Mumbai for allegedly promotion enmity between different communities.
- The Bombay High Court had earlier granted interim protection from arrest to the sisters till today.
HC asks Centre, Delhi govt to clear dues of respective panel counsels
- Delhi High Court has asked the Centre and Delhi government to clear all the pending bills of their respective panel counsels, including standing counsels and public procecutors.
- The court said that it is not right for a counsel to approach the court for their professional fees.
- The Centre informed the court that the payment process has already been initiated.
Donald Trump’s Twitter account suspension dangerous precedent, say BJP leaders
- BJP leaders have expressed outrage about the indefinite suspension of the Twitter account of US President Donald Trump.
- “DE platforming Donald Trump, a sitting US president, sets a dangerous precedent,” says BJP’s IT cell.
- Dissent is fundamental to democracy and welcomed by the government
The anti-conversion ordinance of Madhya Pradesh receives the nod of governor, becomes law
- Madhya Pradesh governor accepts order that punishes religious conversions by fraudulent
- Madhya Pradesh Freedom of Religion Ordinance, 2020, provides for ten years in jail
President of Suriname, Curacao PM, NZ Minister of the 30 Pravasi Bhartiya Samman award winners
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award was given to 30 NRIs.
- The award is the highest distinction bestowed by India’s President. It is provided to NRIs and to NRIs or PIOs set up and operated by organizations.
- Among the award winners was Mukesh Aghi, president and CEO of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum. He said the award represents India’s best from around the world.
Determined efforts to get the economy back on track are needed: Venkaiah Naidu
- Vice President spoke at Goa Legislators’ Day event in Porvorim.
- India and the world are passing through difficult times, says Vice President.
- “Vaccines do offer the hope of shielding people
India is improving capabilities for deep ocean missions, according to Harsh Vardhan.
- Scientists should go deep into the ocean for ocean exploration, says
- “We are developing the capability in which scientists can go deep
- He said the 2004 Tsunami triggered a ‘tragedy
India to start Covid vaccination rollout from January 16
- Priority given to the healthcare workers and frontline workers.
- Followed by 50 years of age and the under-50 population groups.
Centre associated high-level committee to commemorate Netaji’s birth anniversary
- Year-long commemoration of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s 125th birth anniversary.
- Will take place in Delhi, Kolkata and other places associated with Netaji.
Bird flu scare: Delhi govt stops import of live birds, Ghazipur mandi closed for 10 days
- Banned the import of live birds in Delhi.
- Ghazipur’s poultry market will stay closed for 10 days.
Chinese soldier taken in on the Indian side of Line of Actual Control in Ladakh
- Chinese soldier crossed LAC in eastern Ladakh, was taken by the Indian Army.
- The Army said the Chinese soldier is being dealt with laid down protocols.
Kerala Congress(M) leader Jose K Mani resigns as RS member
- Submitted resignation to Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu.
- He quit the seat “for upholding morality in political life.”
Pfizer covid-19 vaccine appears to be effective against mutant variants : Study report
- The study noted that the Pfizer–BioNTech shot worked against 15 additional possible mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- Can protect against a mutation found in two highly contagious variants of the coronavirus that erupted in Britain and South Africa.
- They both share a common mutation called N501Y, a slight alteration on one spot of the spike protein that coats the virus.
FB, Twitter and Google face calls to ban Trump from accounts
- Facebook, Twitter and Google are facing mounting pressure from lawmakers, activists and civil rights groups to enact tougher policies and more forcefully purge misleading content and accounts – including the ones held by President Donald Trump.
- Trump had used Twitter, Facebook and Google’s YouTube to urge supporters to strike out, and for hours said nothing as the mob grew violent. Once he urged the crowd to be peaceful, he repeated his claim that the election had been stolen from him, says agencies.
Iran bans foreign companies from testing COVID-19 vaccines on Iranians, says President
- Supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s highest authority, said the U.S. and Britain were “ untrustworthy” and possibly sought to spread the infection to other countries.
- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday, a day after Iran’s Supreme Leader banned vaccine imports from the United States and Britain.
- “Our people will not be a testing device for vaccine manufacturing companies,” he added. “We shall purchase safe foreign vaccines.”
Will introduce immigration bill ‘immediately’ after taking office, says Biden
- Reversing the Trump administration’s “cruel” immigration policies was one of Mr. Biden’s key election promises.
- He had previously promised an immigration overhaul within 100 days of taking office.
- Biden’s inauguration is going to be held on January 20, 2021.
Indonesia’s Sriwijaya Air jet feared crashed after losing contact with air traffic control
- An Indonesian Sriwijaya Air plane is feared to have crashed into the sea after the Boeing 737 lost contact with air traffic control in the capital Jakarta, with flight tracking data showing the jet plunged into a steep dive just four minutes after take-off.
- Indonesia’s search & rescue agency and the National Transportation Safety Commission were also investigating, Irawati said.
- It was unclear how many passengers and crew were aboard the Boeing 737-500, which has a capacity of about 130, when it left Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta international airport on Saturday.
PM Modi urged by Economists to push privatization, increase infrastructure spending
- The fiscal and reform measures undertaken by the government following the COVID-19 outbreak was highlighted by PM Modi.
- The government was urged by the participants to come up with policies to increase exports and build investors’ confidence as investments aren’t flowing into India in a big way.
Rs 900 crore worth stakes sold by Reliance Infrastructure in PKTCL to India Grid
- Reliance Infrastructure has completed the sale of its entire74 percent stake to India Grid Trust in PKTCL for Rs 900 crore.
- The company’s dues will reduce by 6 percent and proceeds will be utilized for debt reduction.
CIL Chief states that coal demand likely to rise in post-COVID era
- As demand for the dry fuel is expected to rise with increasing economic activities in the post-COVID era, coal production needs to be scaled up in the country.
- Agrawal Pramod stated that during the 2020-2021 financial year, the Maharatna PSU will cross the 650 million tonne production mark.
MoS MEA stated India would be global source of skilled manpower by 2022
- Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan stated that India is going to be the global spurce pf skilled manpower by 2022.
- The Skill India programme is aimed towards making the country the skill capital of the world.
PM Modi stated two Made in India COVID-19 vaccines to be rolled out to save lives
- India to roll out two COVID-19 vaccines and save lives across the globe as stated by PM Narendra Modi on Saturday.
- PM Modi stated that Pravasi Bharatiya Divas convention is a great opportunity to interact with the India diaspora.
BCCI Should take Vigorous Steps Against Cricket Australia: Demands Prashant Ojha
- Former spinner Ojha requested Board of Control for Cricket in India along with International Cricket Council (ICC) to take up serious steps against the Racial Abuse of Mohammed Siraj.
- On Day 3 of the Sydney test, when Siraj was fielding, a section of SGC Crowd began to deliver abusive racial comments against him.
Liverpool Wins Today’s Match
- Liverpool triumphed over the match won against Aston Villa by the score of 4-1, enters into 3rd round in FA Cup.
- Aston Villa loses and reached in 4th round of FA Cup.
Partnership Between Steve and Marnus was Strong on Day 3 of Test Matches
- Markus Labuschagne and Steve Smith Partnership on Day 3 Test Match series become a challenge for Indian Team.
- They made a great lead of 197 runs, after the Australian Team lost their two wickets of Will Pucovski and David Warner Fell.
Serena, Nadal, Djokovic to Quarantine in Adelaide
- The Top Tennis Player will play an exhibition at the Australian Open, and will be quarantined at Adelaide rather than Melbourne.
- The City is hosting a WTA event after the first Grand Slam, organisers.
AIFF Overturns SC East Bengal Skipper Danny Fox’s Red Card: ISL
- Fox’s red card 1-1 draw with FC Goa was Overturned by the All Indian Football Federation’s AIFF.
- The AIFF was delighted there was no vicious conduct on Fox’s part.
DEFENSE, MED, TECH, AND SCIENCE NEWS
Chinese soldier apprehended on the Indian side of LAC Control in Ladakh
- The Army said that the Chinese soldier is being dealt with laid down protocols.
- The PLA soldier had violated across the LAC and was arrested by Indian soldiers deployed around there.
- South Pangong Tso, which is a part of the Chushul sub-sector, is one of the zones where troops from the two sides are only a couple of hundred meters apart.
Youth from PoK inadvertently crosses LoC, handed over to Pak Army
- The Indian Army gave over to the Pakistan Army a youth from PoK who accidentally crossed the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir’s’ Poonch district on December 31.
- The youngster’s name is Ali Haider and he is an inhabitant of the Mirpur district in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
IMA ask over its members to take part in the Covid-19 vaccination drive
- The doctor’s body said, “As you all are aware of the Covid-19 vaccine being made available in the immediate future, it becomes our natural responsibility to assist the vaccination drive in a professional way.”
- “With great efficacy levels and affordability, these Indian vaccines shall perform great for the people of our country”, they added.
Signal beeps stronger in India as WhatsApp changes policy
- Encoded messaging app Signal said it saw a “monster spike” in India after WhatsApp announced it would be sharing more user info to parent Facebook under an updated security policy.
- India is WhatsApp’s biggest market with over 400 million users.
- Signal saw 2,200 installs on India’s application stores on Wednesday up 38% from 1,600 installs in the week finished December 30.
Virus-like particles discovered by scientists in Bryozoa
- Scientists from Russia, Austria, and the USA have found virus-like particles in the bacterial symbionts of Bryozoa—a phylum of frontier aquatic spineless creatures.
- The research project was planned and directed by scientists from Saint Petersburg University.
- Some of the virus-like particles resemble RBC, while others have an ocean imp-like appearance.