Prolawctor Daily Current Affairs Insights
Contents of Article
FIR in land denotification case against CM BS Yediyurappa refused to be quashed by the Karnataka HC
- The petition of Chief Minister B.S Yediyurappa which sought the quashing of criminal proceedings under the Prevention of Corruption Act against him, was dismissed by the Karnataka High Court.
- The Lokayukta was also pulled up by the court for not completing the investigation between 2015 and 2019 against Yediyurappa, when there was no stay on it.
Plea in Supreme Court sought protection for opposition leaders: West Bengal Elections
- A plea seeking directions to the West Bengal Government to provide protection to the opposition leaders in the state was filed before the Supreme Court and this was to ensure free and fair conduction of Assembly elections in 2021.
- Investigation was also sought into the killing of 300 or more activists and leaders of BJP after TMC government rose to power.
Shehla Rashid’s father, media restrained from publishing defamatory private content against Rashid, by the Srinagar court
- A Srinagar Court restrained Shehla’s father and media channels from telecasting, broadcasting and publishing matters that were defamatory and intrusive of her right to privacy or right to live with dignity and honour and granted relief to Shehla Rashid.
- The court further specified that the media outlets did not have legal jurisdiction to highlight a private issue between Shora and the plaintiff while the court dealt with the matter.
Plea seeking blocking of Sci-Hub, Libgen website to be heard by Delhi HC
- A plea filed by leading global academic publishers sought direction to block Sci-Hub and Libgen was to be heard by the Delhi High Court.
- The allegations were that the websites have promoted viewing and downloading plaintiff’s rightful original works.
Residents of Union Territory can approach NHRC, stated the Jammu and Kashmir HC, in case of violation of rights
- A plea against investigation initiated by the J&K Police in the Shopian fake encounter of three labourers was being heard by the Jammu and Kashmir High Court.
- The J&K HC stated that the National Human Rights Commission should be approached in case the residents of J&K have any grievance with respect to the violation of their human rights.
Plea by a 5-month-old infant to ban traffic inside Cubbon Park was heard by the Karnataka HC
- The plea mentioned the petitioner to be a five-month-old infant who sought the ban on vehicular movement in Cubbon Park stated that the health of the petitioner was being affected by this.
- A study by researchers of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru regarding the impact of traffic on the park and the positive impact on the environment if the park was closed for vehicular movement, was cited in the plea.
Consent for initiation of contempt proceedings against CBI officer was denied by Rahul Mehra
- Delhi Standing Counsel, Rahul Mehra denied the consent provided for the initiation of criminal contempt against the CBI officer who had allegedly hit a public prosecutor.
- It was opined by Mehra that averments in Sahni’s representation did not amount to criminal contempt according to Section 2 (c ) of the Contempt of Court Act, 1971.
Attempts to Dilute Merit under the Open Category was blocked by the Supreme Court
- The SC reiterated that reserved categories can be appointed under open category on their own merit, however found that High court disagreed with application of this principle while filling quota under horizontal reservations.
- It was specified that vertical and horizontal reservations were not to be observed as rigid slots and open category was available to women and men alike.
Jammu and Kashmir: Police bust terror network in Awantipora
- The police in Jammu and Kashmir’s Awantipora, along with the Army and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), busted a terror network, news reported by news agency ANI.
- The network of proscribed outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad was involved in the grenade lobbing incidents in Tral and Sangam areas, as per the ANI quoted the police officials as saying.
Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over- ‘ceasefire violations’
- On Wednesday, Pakistan has summoned a senior Indian diplomat to register a protest over ceasefire violations by the Indian army along the Line of Control (LoC) which left one woman killed and three injured on Tuesday, as per the Foreign Ministry said.
NGT directs Centre, states to install ‘Bird Diverters’ : On existing solar and wind powerlines
- On Wednesday, The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Centre through the Ministry of Environment Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) and other states.
- The direction was to install ‘Bird Diverters’ on existing solar and wind powerlines as soon as possible and preferably within four months.
Maoists rough up workers as they attacked bridge construction site in Bihar: Police
- A group of Maoists attacked a bridge-building site in the Jamui region, whipping laborers and shooting indiscriminately.
- The occurrence occurred close to Harni-Khalari town along Kiul river, where a bridge is being constructed by Roongta Company at an expense of Rs 4.32 lakh.
- Police further added it seems to be fall out of extortion demanded by Maoists
Odisha Makes 14-Day Home Quarantine Mandatory For Persons With UK Travel History
- As the mutant variation of the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been spreading fast in the UK, the Odisha government made a 14-day home quarantine compulsory for individuals arriving from the UK.
- Passengers with a travel history of the UK will be needed to fill up the Self Declaration Form upon arrival in the two air terminals of the State.
- The letter further added the travelers with travel history to the UK will be advised to self-monitor and periodic monitoring by the Rapid Response Team.
BJP on DDC election result tweeted ‘Lotus blooming in J&K’
- After managing 74 seats in the District Development Council election in Jammu and Kashmir, BJP termed the result as a lotus blooming in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The party congratulated the daring and devoted karyakartas who worked fearlessly and enthusiastically to make this possible.
Electoral bonds: CIC says revealing names of donors not in the public interest
- The CIC has now decided that the disclosure of the identity of electoral bond scheme donors won’t serve any larger public interest.
- The CIC, the lead body for implementing the Right to Information Act, gave the reason that it will violate provisions of the RTI Act.
- This scheme allows citizens to purchase monetary instruments and can donate them to a political group, which is then allowed to redeem them for money.
China, US, UK, Russia have started vaccinating, says Rahul Gandhi, questions India’s progress
- Rahul Gandhi slammed PM Modi for not conveying Covid vaccines in the nation despite different nations starting their individual vaccination drives.
- He tweeted, “23 lakh people in the world have already received Covid vaccinations. China, the US, UK, Russia have started. India ka number kab ayegaa, Modi ji?”
- India is yet to approve a vaccine for its vaccination drive however reports state that the government could approve the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine by the end of next week.
China seeks assurance before loaning $6 billion for Pakistan rail project
- China sought added guarantees before authorising a $6-billion loan for the Main Line-1 railway line project in Pakistan.
- China also suggested a blend of commercial and concessional loans to fund the project.
‘Pakistan doomed to fail’: Pakistan activist criticize murder of Karima Baloch
- Sardar Shaukat Ali said Pakistan Army cannot silence the voices of Baluchistan.
- Karima Baloch, an activist, earlier was found dead in Toronto, Canada.
Responding to domestic violence dispute, 3 police officers shot dead
- 3 police officers, killed, 4th wounded in central France by a gunman, in response to a domestic violence call
- Suspect, a 48-year-old man known to authorities for child custody issues, was discovered dead hours later after fleeing at a village south of the city.
Trudeau blocked out China by declining Arctic gold deal
- Trudeau’s government declined plan by China’s Shandong Gold Mining Co., leading a rise in diplomatic feud.
- Spokesperson for the Canadian ministry said she was constricted in making clear why the deal did not happen.
China expelled American Warship near Spratly Islands, America Denies
- US Navy guided-missile destroyer sailing near Spartly Island has been expelled by their Military, China declares.
- US navy denies this is says that this was China’s attempt to assert unlawful claims in maritime regions hence the ship was never expelled.
Finally Bail Granted to Hong Kong Media Tycoon Jimmy Lai
- Lai is a blunt advocate for Democracy in Hong Kong and he is charged with Fraud and National Security- related charges on December 12.
- After 3 weeks, on Wednesday he was finally granted Bail.
Indian losses in Tax Dispute against Britain’s Clair Energy PLC
- The Tribunal made to rule on claim against the Indian Government over a high-profile Tax dispute, rules it decision in favor of the Britain’s Energy Giant.
- Moreover, it awarded 1.2 Billion US Dollars plus interest and cost in its favor.
- It was a Unanimous decision of the Tribunal that the India had breached its obligation to claim under the UK- India bilateral investment Treaty.
After Two Year Break, Lava Lake Flare Up from the Hawaii Volcano
- According to Scientists, lava was advancing more than 3 feet per hour in deep crater of the Hawaii volcano, Lava Lake has been established which about 440 Feet from the ground is.
- Kilauea Volcano has erupted about 2 billion gallons of lava, which is enough to cover about 33 acres.
European Union tries to make a Final Push in a Trade Deal with Britain.
- On December 31st, the free trade arrangement of EU and Britain’s ends and hence both the sides have been facing problems in establishing a new relationship since they are trying to cover everything from trade to transport and energy.
- EU offers its final offer on the fishing rights and expressed their concerns about regulating production standards and state aid as they are concerned about Fair Play.
Nissan to hike prices of all vehicles in India by up to 5 percent from January
- On Wednesday Japanese Automaker Nissan said in India vehicles prices will be increased by up to 5 percent in every models from January to complete the increased costs.
- Nissan Motor India said that the revised prices will be implied in all over the models for Nissan and Datsun and that prices will be effective from January 2021.
- Rakesh Srivastava who is Nissan motor managing Indian director, he said that we controlled or stay the limitation to increase the price of models that is Nissan and Datsun and the revised prices will be implied from January 2021.
SBI extends global trade finance solutions to Israeli corporates
- A Bank official said SBI giving trade finance solutions and services to Israeli corporates because SBI to help the Israeli corporates by financing and it is the important arose out of the Abraham.
- Bank also said that an officially agreement is made and Between two countries that is Israel and Arab states make friendly relations again after the war.
RBI okays Sandeep Batra’s appointment as Executive Director of ICICI Bank
- RBI accepted the appointment of Sandeep Batra as Executive Director and that appointment will be effective from Wednesday.
- Sandeep Batra has appointed for a period of Three years.
- Batra has been working for last 20 years with the ICICI group and he was also the president with full duties of the Corporate Centre at the Bank.
- He had also the duty for operations group, technology group and Secretariat functions etc.
Belle Vue Clinic to invest Rs 500 crore to set up new hospitals in Bengal
- On the boundaries of the city Major Belle Vue clinic will invest Rs 500 crore to set up new hospitals in Kolkata and increase the number of beds over the facilities are existing in hospital.
- Over a two acre land the revised hospitals are developed.
- The new infrastructure will be of high quality standard and new facilities will be given world class health services using high technologies.
Glen mark inks pact with Menarini group to commercialize nasal spray in Europe
- On Wednesday Glenmark Pharmaceuticals said that with Menarini Group it is subordinate has inked a licensing pact for commercialising.
- For commercialising nasal spray Ryaltris includes all over the world in Europe and it includes Balkan region also.
- The company’s product is novel fixed dose and it consists the nasal spray of antihistamine and a steroid indicated for treatments and patients who is associated with one disease that is called seasonal allergic rhinitis (SAR).
Messi surpasses Pele milestone with help from Barca teenager- Lead In Spanish League
- Messi who helped Barcelona had equalled Pele’s all-time scoring tally on Saturday.
- His 643rd career goal for Barcelona since his 2004 debut matched Pele’s tally for Santos from 1957-74.
New IPL teams, tax exemption for T20 World Cup, new cricket committees on agenda
- The tax issue is high on the agenda of the BCCI’S 89th annual general body meeting. Cricket’s possible inclusion in the 2028 los Angeles Olympics which is backed by the ICC also be discussed.
Bishan Singh Bedi wants his name removed from Kotla stand over plans to install Jaitley’s statue
- Former Indian caption Bishan Singh Bedi has written to Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA)
- President Rohan Jaitley asking for the removal of his name from a stand at the Feroz Shah Kotla after coming to know about plans to install a statue of Rohan’s father and former head of the state Association Arun Jaitley at the stadium.
Djokovic, Federer, Nadal win ATP awards for 2020
- Novak Djokovic Rorer Federe Rafael Nadal and Frances Tiafoe were among the winners of the ATP’s top awards for 2020.
- Djokovic was the year end No.1 for a record equalling sixth time after winning for titles including a record eighth Australian Open.
Never thought I’d break any records, especially Pele’s: Lionel Messi
- Valladolid After surpassing pele’s record Barcelona’s Lionel Messi said when he started playing football he never thought he would break any records.
- Especially the one that the legendary Brazilian held for so many years.
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, MEDICINE AND DEFENCE
Google startup would help the agenda of “Bharat Push”
- Investment made by google into the social network and short videos category really going to strengthen its presence in the country’s burgeoning digital eco system.
- It is said, that it will help in growth of base of India’s Internet technology.
Agreement between Facebook and google to cooperate with each other
- There were total 10 complaints filed by the US states accusing google of working with Facebook to boost its dominance.
- However, the spokesperson of google handled it pretty well by stating that these kind of agreements are normal.
China says, it has expelled the US naval ships from South China Sea
- China’s military informed that they have expelled US Navy.
- They says that illegal trespassing in the waters near China’s Namsha Islands would not be tolerated.
Chief of the army reviews the situation of forward posts in eastern Ladakh
- Due to the prolonged standoff with China, the armed forces have been become more careful.
- Inspection and revision is made by the Chief officers of the army.
New iron-based catalyst founded which turns carbon dioxide into jet fuel
- Researchers have reported that this would be remarkable in the Nature.
- The report was submitted on 22 December on the online platform.