Prolawctor Daily News Update
Contents of Article
Reliance – Future Group Deal: Amazon gets relief as Singapore Emergency Arbitrator stalls the sale of Future Group
- Kishore Biyani controlled Big Bazaar was recently purchased by Mukesh Ambani controlled Reliance Retail. Now the Emergency Arbitrator has stalled this purchase.
- Amazon has won a favorable ruling before the Emergency Arbitrator at Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) in its fight over Kishore Biyani controlled Future Group and Future Coupons that owns Big Bazaar and other retail outlets.
Attorney General KK Venugopal’s consent sought to initiate contempt against Andhra CM YS Jaganmohan Reddy
- A SC lawyer and a BJP leader has written a letter to AG KK Venugopal seeking consent to initiate contempt proceedings against AP CM YS Jaganmohan Reddy and his principal advisor Ajeya Kallam.
- Advocate Ashwini Kumar Upadhyay has stated in his letter that the letter by Reddy to CJI SA Bobde making allegations against Justice NV Ramana of the Supreme Court and other judges scandalized the authority of both the Supreme Court and High Court.
Mike Pompeo and Marks Esper leave for New Delhi for India-U.S 2+2 dailogue
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defence Secretary Mark T Esper leave for India on Monday for the third edition of the two-plus-two ministerial dialogue which will be held on Tuesday.
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will represent India during the talks. Pompeo and Esper will hold bilateral meetings with their Indian counterparts as well.
- They are also scheduled to make a joint call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Both the sides are likely to discuss a host of crucial bilateral, regional and global issues including China’s efforts to expand influence in the Indo-Pacific region as well as its aggressive behaviour in eastern Ladakh.
After Macron’s comments on Islam, BoycottFrench was trending
- After French President Emmanuel Macron’s “Islam is a religion that is in crisis all over the world” comments.
- Then “BoycottFrenchProducts” started trending on social media with netizens calling for a boycott of French products.
Nepal PM draws flak on social media for using country’s old map in Dussehra greeting
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli drew flak for not using the revised political map of Nepal which should have included the three disputed areas of Lipulekh, Kalapani and Lympiyadhura claimed by India.
- The Nepal government has now clarified that the map used to convey Oli’s Vijayadashami greetings was distorted because of technical reasons.
Armenia and Azerbaijan agrees anew to humanitarian ceasefire: U.S
- The US has said that Armenia and Azerbaijan have agreed to respect a “humanitarian ceasefire” in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. The ceasefire would take effect at 8:00 am local time (04H00 GMT) on Monday.
US presidential debate: Trump and Biden square off in their final debate
- With just a few days ahead of the crucial presidential elections in the United States, American President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden squared off on Thursday night in their last debate.
- There were many topics of discussion such as climate change, which continues to hog headlines.
- On the topic of climate change, Donald Trump defended removing the US from the Paris climate accord by saying that India, China’s air is filthy. For more, watch the full video.
Free Covid-19 Vaccine for all citizens of India
- Union Minister Pratap Sarangi has said all people of the country will be given free Covid-19 vaccine.
- This comes amid the demand by the opposition for a free vaccine for all and not only in poll-bound Bihar as announced by the BJP.
Air quality ‘very poor’ in Delhi, ‘severe’ in parts of Ghaziabad, Greater Noida
- Delhi’s air quality continued to be in the ‘very poor’ category on Sunday, with Air Quality Index (AQI) was recorded at 349.
- Meanwhile, in parts of Ghaziabad and Gautam Buddh Nagar, the air quality reached “severe” levels.
Doctors of Delhi’s Hindu Rao Hospital protest over pending salaries
- Resident doctors of the Hindu Rao Hospital took their protest against non-payment of salaries to the streets in Delhi’s Connaught Place.
- They also burnt an effigy of Ravana to draw attention to their demands.
Army to review situation in Ladakh at 4-day conference
- In the 4-day conference, the commanders will also talk about long-pending reform measures.
Fresh wave of flood affects over 15, 000 people in Assam’s Nagaon, West Karbi Anglong district
- The authorities of Karbi Langpi Hydro Electric Project have also released excess water by opening several gates.
RBI governor test COVID-19 Positive
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das on Sunday announced that he has tested positive for coronavirus, stating that he is asymptomatic.
- “[I] will continue to work from isolation. Work in RBI will go on normally. I am in touch with all [Deputy Governors] and other officers through VC and telephone,” he wrote on Twitter.
Samsung chairperson dies
- Chairman of South Korea’s biggest conglomerate Samsung, Lee Kun-hee died on Sunday at 78
- Six years after he was hospitalised for a heart attack. Lee inherited the chairmanship in 1987 and made Samsung one of the largest producers of smartphones under his leadership.
- Since the heart attack, his son Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong had been at the helm.
India bans imported good at defence canteens
- The government has ordered its 4,000 defence canteens to stop buying imported goods.
- The internal order issued by the Defence Ministry on October 19 said that in future, “procurement of direct imported items shall not be undertaken”.
- Imports make up around 6-7% of total sales value in these shops, according to the Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.
ICICI Bank closes operation Sri Lanka
- ICICI Bank on Saturday said it has shut its operations in Sri Lanka after getting approval from the country’s monetary authority.
- Reports of the bank, alongside Axis Bank shutting operations first emerged in January this year.
- “The licence issued to the bank to carry on banking business in Sri Lanka is cancelled with effect from October 23, 2020,” said ICICI.
Deadline for IT return filing for FY20 extended by a month to December 31
- The Finance Ministry on Saturday extended the deadline for filing Income Tax Returns by individuals by a month to December 31, 2020.
- The government had in May extended the date from July 31 to November 30.
- For those taxpayers whose accounts need to be audited, the deadline has been extended by two months till January 31, 2021.
Science, technology, medicine and Defence
32 Naxals surrender in Dantewada, Chhattisgarh
- As many as 32 Naxals, four of them collectively carrying Rs 4 lakh reward on their heads, surrendered in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district on Sunday, police said.
Defence Ministry to acquire strategic land near Sumdorong Chu flashpoint
- The defence ministry is taking control of over 200 acre of strategic grazing grounds near Lungro La pass
- Which was one of the flashpoints during the Sumdorong Chu incident in 1986.
Mouthwash helps curb Covid19, wildfire smoke likely to so read it: Study
- Almost a year into the novel coronavirus pandemic and scientists and researchers are still working around the clock to study the nature of the virus and prepare an effective vaccine against it.
- Several studies have been conducted so far to understand Covid-19.
Mars losing its atmosphere to outer space at a faster rate than Earth
- A study by Isro’s Mars mission MOM has found that the Red planet is losing its atmosphere to outer space at a faster rate than the Earth.