Prolawctor Daily Current Affairs Insights
Contents of Article
Seeking Designation As “Freedom Fighter”, Victims Of 1975 Emergency Move Supreme Court
- The AILS Joint Action Committee has moved an application before the Supreme Court, looking for intervention in the writ petition urging that the 1975 crisis was unconstitutional.
- The application also contained that the persons illegally detained during the Emergency be accorded the designation of freedom fighters.
Aadhar Verdict: Supreme Court To Consider Review Petitions Tomorrow
- The review petitions against the September 2018 verdict of the Supreme Court upholding the Aadhaar project are listed before a five-judge bench tomorrow.
- A Constitution Bench consisting of Justices AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan, S Abdul Nazeer, and BR Gavai will consider the petitions at 1.30 pm in the chamber.
- Justices Khanwilkar, Chandrachud, and Ashok Bhushan were part of the original bench which decided the case on September 26, 2018.
Justice Chelameswar said “Govt Sitting On Collegium Recommendations Without Decision Not A Democratic Process Or Healthy Practice”
- Former SC judge, Justice J Chelameswar criticized the practice of Central Government sitting over proposals for judicial appointments as “not a democratic process nor a solid practice”.
- He was talking at a webinar on the subject “Responsibility and Transparency in Judicial Appointments: Need for Institutional Mechanisms” as a feature of the Kannabiran Memorial Lecture series.
Gujarat High Court asks CBDT to decide on the extension of the deadline for Income Tax Returns by January 12
- A division bench of the Gujarat High Court directed the CBDT to make a decision by January 12 on the extension of filing of ITR and TAR for the annual year 2020-21.
- The High Court opined that the powers practiced by the CBDT are gainful in nature and therefore, it should practice it for the appropriate administration of fiscal law.
Punjab ready to challenge farm laws, SC hearing tomorrow
- The Consortium of Indian Farmers Associations (CIFA) moved toward the Supreme Court, trying to be heard against the challenge to the new laws.
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said state Advocate General Atul Nanda had already prepared and finished petitions to challenge the three central laws.
- The CM added that “since these Acts impact the lives and future of our farmers, all decisions will be taken carefully and judiciously at an opportune time.”
CBI search on Hyd infra company for Rs.4.7k cr bank fraud
- CBI on Saturday conducted searches at several locations in Hyderabad after registering a case against city-based Coastal Projects Limited and its promoters in the 4,736.5 crore loan fraud case. The company set up hydroelectric projects.
- The central agency has accused the company of defrauding a consortium of banks led by State Bank of India. IDBI Bank, Canara Bank, Bank of Baroda, Bank of Maharashtra, Punjab National Bank, Union Bank of India, EXIM Bank are the other banks that have been allegedly duped by the accused.
- CBI alleged that the accused joined hands with the bank officials and resorted to the fraud.
40-yr-old Punjab farmer commits suicide at Delhi’s Singhu border
- Amarindar Singh committed suicide at Singhu border protest site.
- This is the third such suicide at the Delhi border, where farmers have been protesting against the three central farm laws.
- He consumed some poisonous substance and collapsed, breathed his last in a private hospital while undergoing treatment.
Mamata Banerjee announces free COVID vaccine for West Bengal
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday (January 10) announced free coronavirus vaccine for people of West Bengal.
- The announcement from the Chief Minister comes ahead of the state assembly election, which is scheduled to be held in coming months.
Haryana police use water cannon, teargas shells on protesting farmers ahead of CM Manohar Lal Khattar’s Karnal visit
- Haryana Police on Sunday (January 10) cracked down on farmers protesting against central farm laws at a toll plaza near Karnal ahead of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar’s visit to home constituency.
- According to reports, the police fired tear gas shells and used water cannons to disperse the protesting farmers in the village.
Reliance, Karnataka firm ink pact to procure 1k quintal paddy
- In the first big transaction between a large corporate entity and farmers since the promulgation of the amended APMC Act in Karnataka, Reliance Retail Ltd has closed a deal for the purchase of 1,000 quintals of Sona Masoori paddy from the farmers of Sindhanur taluk in Raichur.
- Around a fortnight ago, agents registered with Reliance signed an agreement with Swasthya Farmers Producing Company (SFPC).
- Firm is going to offer farmers more than MSP.
Karnataka Cabinet is going to Expand Soon, says CM Yediyurappa
- Union Minister Amit Shah met with Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa met on Sunday in New Delhi, the Karnataka CM says that this meeting shall result in expansion of the Karnataka Cabinet.
- He also met National President JP Nadda and also discussed various issues relating to the party.
NCB arrested a British National who Claims that he sells Herbal Cigarettes
- Karan Sajnani, is a British National got arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), alleged for involving in the drug trade.
- In the Court, in his Defence he says that it is not Marijuana, it is made of Rose Leaves and petals and looks like Drug which is used to Quit Smoking and he sells it Online.
A terrorist Aide got arrested in J&K’s Awantipora
- One terrorist got arrested by Awantipora police after they busted a hideout spot of proscribed terror outfit in Lashar-e- Toiba.
- The police got the information of the terrorist presence in Chandhara Pampore Village in a hideout at a house.
Ghaziabad Air Quality is Categorized ‘Very Poor’
- According to the 24-Hour Data was provided by the Government, the average air quality in Greater Noida is categorized under ‘poor’
- While the according to the AQI, the air condition in Ghaziabad is categorized under’ very poor’.
Center Confirms the Outbreak of the Bird Flu in Seven States
- The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying is trying to monitor the potential hotspot for the disease spread.
- The Central government confirmed that the Outbreak has taken place in 7 states which includes Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan. Kerala and 3 more.
Scores missing in the Indonesia landslides, at least 11 killed
- Scores of people were missing after deadly landslides hit Indonesia’s West Java Province, at least 11 people were killed, including a boy of 6 years of age.
- On Saturday evening, the disaster was triggered by torrential rains and a second landslide buried residents.
Trump seeks new online megaphone after being squelched by Twitter
- Alternative options of much smaller reach are available to Trump despite being deprived of his online megaphones.
- Trump may launch his own platform however; it wouldn’t happen overnight.
Amid 3rd virus lockdown Israelis protest Netanyahu
- Calling for long serving leader, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to resign over corruption charges, thousands of Israelis renewed weekly demonstrations against him.
- In the midst of the 3rd lockdown, protests were held in Jerusalem Square near Netanyahu’s official residence, as the country presses forward with a world-leading vaccination drive.
As UK cases top 3 mn, Queen, Prince Philip given Covid-19 jab
- As the country surpassed three million cases since the pandemic began last year, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip received COVID-19 vaccinations on Saturday.
- In order to prevent inaccuracies and speculation, the queen decided the information should be made public.
Kim Jong Un faces harsh reality as he makes big plans to grow North Korea’s economy
- The ambitious plan of Kim Jong Un for the next five years is aimed at developing North Korea’s shattered economy but the major crises that have already stalled the young leader’s current projects might falter the proposals.
- Kim blamed international sanctions, coronavirus pandemic and natural disasters for preventing the government from improving the lives of people and mistakes of officials were criticized and needed to be fixed.
Include natural gas under GST to push for gas-based economy: Industry
- The Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry in a pre-Budget memorandum to the finance ministry said that inclusion of natural gas under the GST ambit will have a positive impact on gas-based industries, promote usage of the fuel, and avoid stranding of taxes.
Currency in circulation rises 3.23 lakh cr in first 9 months of FY21
- According to Care Ratings Chief Economist Madan Sabnavis, the growth in currency in circulation so far in the current fiscal has been high as people were accumulating more cash to meet any exigency during the lockdown.
- The Currency in Circulation (CiC) grew by around 13 per cent in the first nine months of the current fiscal as people preferred holding on to cash as a precautionary measure amid the uncertainty caused due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- CiC grew by 3,23,003 crore, or 13.2 per cent, to 27,70,315 crore as on January 1, 2021 from ₹24,47,312 crore as on March 31, 2020, according to recent data released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- In the April-December period of FY2020, it had grown by nearly 6 per cent.
RBI raises concerns over zero-coupon bond for PSB recapitalization
- To save interest burden and ease the fiscal pressure, the govt has decided to issue zero-coupon bonds for meeting the capital needs of the banks.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has expressed some concerns over zero-coupon bonds for the recapitalization of public sector banks (PSBs) and discussion is on between the central bank and Finance Ministry to find a solution, according to sources.
Sales to normalise by Jan-end, getting orders from Jio Mart: Kishore Biyani
- Future Group, which had entered into a 24,713-crore deal with Reliance Industries to sell its retail business, has also received large orders from JioMart
- Sales to normalise by Jan-end, getting orders from JioMart: Kishore Biyani.
ITR filing last date today: ‘Don’t miss deadline,’ says government
- The returns can be filed by 12 Sunday midnight. After that, the website will be down from 12 midnight to 4am on January 11 for maintenance activities.
- The extended deadline for filing the income tax returns for the financial year 2019-20 (the assessment year 2020-21) is today. There will be no extension of the deadline any further, as the department on its Twitter handle has urged taxpayers to not miss the deadline.
80% want Tokyo Olympics cancelled or delayed: Japanese survey
- Because of rise in coronavirus cases across country.
- 35.3% want the games cancelled, 44.8% want delay.
Ravi Shastri announces new book to tell story of his life in cricket
- Team India coach Ravi Shastri announces new book, a rare look at the illustrious cricketers who have helped shape his career.
- Book will be co-written by sports journalist Ayaz Memon and illustrations by Shiva Rao.
From Justin Langer to Virender Sehwag, cricket fraternity comes together to condemn racist abuses
- Reported incidents of racism during the third Test match between Australia and India.
- Cricketing fraternity together to condemn the acts of racist abuse by the crowd at the venue.
Justin Thomas: World number three apologises for using homophobic slur
- Golfer, Justin Thomas apologised for using a homophobic during.
- Television microphones picked up remark after he missed a five-foot par putt on the fourth hole.
Lionel Messi, Antoine Griezmann help Barcelona win; Real held at Osasuna
- Barcelona’s first three-match winning run in La Liga this season put them four points behind leaders Atletico Madrid.
- Diego Simeone’s men have three more matches to play than its top title rivals.
DEFENCE, MEDICAL, TECHNOLOGY AND SCIENCE NEWS
Indian Army held that China calls for immediate return of PLA soldier
- On Saturday China calls for immediate return of PLA soldier who went away from the direction in the China – India Boarder areas and was arrested by the Indian army.
- On Friday A Chinese soldier was arrested by the Indian army at the Southern Bank of Pangong Tso in Eastern Ladakh.
- On Saturday after he misbehaved in whole Indian side of the Line of Actual Control.
Sri Lankan navy arrested nine Indian fishermen captured one boat
- On Sunday officials said that Indian navy arrested nine Indian fishermen and captured one boat for reportedly fishing in that country’s waters.
- Officials also said that in addition damaging fishing nets in a separate incident.
- They also said that they reportedly throw stones and bottles on the Indian fishermen.
After the Pandemic disease Many patients want effective mental health care
- One year ago, who would agree to see their university of Michigan mental health and it provides through a video screen.
- Just 26 videos stay with a few early adopters and it had happened in six months nearly.
- Under the Facebook and its partner companies will get entrance to selected user data.
- There has been flow in the downloads of alternative messaging app including signal.
In China a very small quantity cryptography network extent 4600 Km
- A small quantity key distribution cryptography network has spread and extents number of kilometres builts in China.
- It links four small Metropolitan area networks in cities in Eastern China with the remote location and it far of the West.